Steer show pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

mrs sawboss

We just finished our county steer show last week and I wanted to post pictures of the boys and their steers..  The red and white steer stood 8th overall, came in 2nd in AOB class.  The black steer came in 14th overall and 4th in exoctic/exocticX class.  The picture of the black steer is not as good as the picture of the other steer due to back-lighting.  Also, had to throw in a picture of our youngest participating in the county clalf scramble.  If a pictures says a 1000 words, this one speaks volumes!  Thanks for looking!  You guys are great!

Attachments

• IMG_0555 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0555 (Small).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0560 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0560 (Small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0571 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0571 (Small).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 161

mrs sawboss

The exoctic/exocticX class winner won Grand Champion.  It was reported that the parents paid $11,000 for the calf.  The calf only brought $6,000 in the premium sale. Our show has become dominated by one family that has 3 grandchildren who show each year.  Kind of excessive for a county show, don't you think.  It isn't about making money for them, it is about beating everyone else.  In many ways, it makes it no fun for the rest of us.

Bawndoh

That red and white calf is a SOLID looking steer.  What is he?  How much did he weigh there?
Congrats too!  (clapping)

mrs sawboss

Bawndoh said:
That red and white calf is a SOLID looking steer.  What is he?  How much did he weigh there?

The red and white steer is from Steerplanet's own Olsen Cattle Company.  I believe he is a Tank X HooDoo (my husband is the one to ask).  He weighed 1250 in that pic.  The Olsen's have pics on Steerplanet of some steers that they have for sale that are just as good, if not better than our steer. 

LazyGLowlines

mrs sawboss said:
Bawndoh said:

The red and white steer is from Steerplanet's own Olsen Cattle Company.  I believe he is a Tank X HooDoo (my husband is the one to ask).  He weighed 1250 in that pic.  The Olsen's have pics on Steerplanet of some steers that they have for sale that are just as good, if not better than our steer. 
Like the look of those steers.  The red and white one looks like he's moderate frame size...any idea how tall he is?

sawboss

Thanks to Eric and James Olsen for their support and encouragement this year.  Russell had a great year showing "Tank" collecting four buckles along the way.  He has a new home at Stephen F. Austin State University as part of their livestock judging program.

chart

You all need to get out a little more often, then maybe you could do a little more winning and a lot less whining.  The steer that won that show cost no where near $11,000.00, as a matter of fact the kid made money on the project when it was all said and done.  I don't know where you got your information, but it was not true.  You folks need to realize that just because you won 4 little pumpkin pullin jackpots that there were 6 steers at, that it does not mean you have good cattle.  If you folks would do a little less talkin and a lot more listening then maybe you could be a little more successful.  One day you will realize that you are not nearly as smart as what you perceive yourself to be.  And by the way there are actually 5 grandkids in all and they can all show next year.  The best I can remember this only makes twice they have won this show in the last 10 years, so you may not have had fun getting beat, but it sounds like they had a little fun winning.  Get out of the house, go pound the pavement and find one to be a little more competitive next year and then maybe someone will talk about you, like you have these folks.  And just for kicks we all know you paid $2500 for the paint steer and at least that much for the exotic and how much did they bring in the auction?

sawboss

chart said:
You all need to get out a little more often, then maybe you could do a little more winning and a lot less whining.  The steer that won that show cost no where near $11,000.00, as a matter of fact the kid made money on the project when it was all said and done.  I don't know where you got your information, but it was not true.  You folks need to realize that just because you won 4 little pumpkin pullin jackpots that there were 6 steers at, that it does not mean you have good cattle.  If you folks would do a little less talkin and a lot more listening then maybe you could be a little more successful.  One day you will realize that you are not nearly as smart as what you perceive yourself to be.  And by the way there are actually 5 grandkids in all and they can all show next year.  The best I can remember this only makes twice they have won this show in the last 10 years, so you may not have had fun getting beat, but it sounds like they had a little fun winning.  Get out of the house, go pound the pavement and find one to be a little more competitive next year and then maybe someone will talk about you, like you have these folks.  And just for kicks we all know you paid $2500 for the paint steer and at least that much for the exotic and how much did they bring in the auction?
[/quot

I have not whined and the comment about a family was also discussed between us.  If you have any further venom to spew you know where to find me.  I doubt very seriously you will look me up though.  "Pumkin Pullin" you should know because you always are asking where they are at.  Phil Carrell

jlingle

Easy now....  slow your roll a bit.

I sincerely hope we get good enough at showing steers someday, that folks are upset about us winning as well. ;D  Nobody ever seems to be upset about the ones who get their tails whipped all the time.

That red and white steer is a nice looking calf.  I hope your kids enjoyed their projects this year, that's what it's all about anyway. (thumbsup)

LazyGLowlines

jlingle said:
Easy now....  slow your roll a bit.

I sincerely hope we get good enough at showing steers someday, that folks are upset about us winning as well. ;D  Nobody ever seems to be upset about the ones who get their tails whipped all the time.

That red and white steer is a nice looking calf.  I hope your kids enjoyed their projects this year, that's what it's all about anyway. (thumbsup)

totally agree!!! 

chambero

Good old county fairs!

For what its worth, I know that the "Sawboss" family did pound the pavement a little bit for their steers.  They came a few hundred miles to look at ours, but the one they wanted we wouldn't sell.

I never have heard the term "pumpkin pullin" before.  That's a new one.

mrs sawboss

mrs sawboss said:
The exoctic/exocticX class winner won Grand Champion.  It was reported that the parents paid $11,000 for the calf.  The calf only brought $6,000 in the premium sale. Our show has become dominated by one family that has 3 grandchildren who show each year.  Kind of excessive for a county show, don't you think.  It isn't about making money for them, it is about beating everyone else.  In many ways, it makes it no fun for the rest of us.

My sincere apologies to the above forementioned family for my quoted post.  Upon re-reading my post, I realize I sounded a bit jealous and bitter. That was not my intentions at all.  We respect their hard work and have enjoyed competing against them and visiting with them at various shows in our area. 

To Chart:  I find irony in the fact that you attacked me for supposedly spreading information that I did not know as fact when you come on Steerplanet and do exactly the same thing regarding my family.  Our goal is not winning or losing,  it is raising two fine young men.  When we do get lucky at a "pumpkin pullin"  we want our boys to feel good about themselves and the work they have done.  From this point on, we will quit talking and just start listening since we obviously don't know what we are doing.

Once again, apologies to all Steerplanet members for being subjected to our small-town county drama.

chart

I personally find it ironic that you all got on here and did the same thing last year after tag in and got busted for it when all of the posts were printed out and hung up at the steer show for all to see and then you get on here this year and basically do the same thing.  It is very obvious to all, that your post was bitter and written out of pure envy.  I was not attacking your young men at all....just stating the simple fact that just because you win a jackpot show it does not mean that you are going to be in the hunt at the county show.  NEWSFLASH...that middle son got married a few months back and now has two new stepdaughters, so I guess that makes 7 grandkids for next years show.  Guess that means everyone else is fighting for 8th place?

sawboss

Enough already!  An apology was extended, so let it go.  If you feel the need to discuss it further be a man and do so with me in person.  Phil Carrell

vc

The thing I like about this board is when there is a disagreement it is about cattle, best practices, or opinions. Not like they other boards where you get a bunch of name calling punks, attacking others at the drop of a hat.
Sawboss apologized, except it or not, chart needs let it go and move on.

justme

if someone isn't talkin' about ya, you aren't doing anything right in the cattle world.  Get over it already.

They apologized and if you cann't accept it, don't read the posts anymore.  We try to keep piece here on our planet.  Honestly I read it and didn't think anything of it, I was more interested in there boys.

Latest posts