Steer sounds like he has indigestion

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmymom1

Okay, I promise this will be my last question/problem for the day about the darn steer.  I have noticed that he sounds like he has indigestion the last few days, he has gurgling sounds and then acts like he really needs to burp. I give him probiotic every day, but I think his stomach is just really full of acid.  We have not changed anything with his feed, I think he has just been pushed to his limit and needs to blow.  Somebody suggested that I give him Aeromycin crumbles, just one teaspoon a feeding.  I called my vet and he said something about maybe baking soda or baking powder (not sure) he really did not have a good answer.  But he does agree that he has too much acid in his stomach.  I'm sure his rumen is okay because I see him chewing his cud during the day.  He has been looser in his stools again this week and a little off of his feed, but not much.  I swear I am going to be nuts over this steer, ONLY 18 more days to go before we show - I hope we all make it!!  Please give any suggestions if you have any.  I am going to let him out this evening in the pasture to run and play so maybe that will help some too.  Thanks for the help!

frostback

The probiatics every day is over kill. I think once a week would be enough. I would try the baking soda  on the feed. If you ever have heart burn drink a little baking soda with water and look out you will burp. If he is chewing his cud and eating dont mess with too much.

chambero

Your calf is probably pretty much "done" and at his peak.  It's getting kind of hot and he's probably at his full maturity level.  Anytime a calf has digestive problems, its hard to go wrong by just feeding him more hay.  Roughage cures all!

Simmymom1

chambero said:
Your calf is probably pretty much "done" and at his peak.  It's getting kind of hot and he's probably at his full maturity level.  Anytime a calf has digestive problems, its hard to go wrong by just feeding him more hay.  Roughage cures all!

I agree with you on everything chambero, I think he is "done" too.  He has been through alot since September, first the Mycoplasma and then one thing after another.  I just hope he can keep it together for 18 more days.  I will try to increase the hay and I also am going to put some baking soda in his feed and see if that helps.  Thanks!!!

Jill

Getting out and running at night may help correct this problem too.  Lack of excercise after eating doesn't do much for the system, he is probably no different.