Steer Traits

Help Support Steer Planet:

What is your #1 must-have when selecting a show steer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mchalmar

I'm doing this for my own gain of knowledge, and who knows, someone else may wanna know too.  :)

frostback

It isn't a one or anything, but a combination of all of those. You may have to have some give and take, but to just buy a calf on one of those traits will get you no where. A show steer needs all of the above to be competitive. 

DLD

Like frostback says, you need all of that (and then some).  But the first thing I look for is balance/eye appeal.  They are after all show steers - if they don't catch my eye, I'm going to keep looking.  Structure is extremely important, but absolutely flawless structure is pretty hard to find (or even to define, for that matter).  Big tops and right amount of muscle should go hand in hand. Growth potential is important, but on the other hand there'll be a show and a class for 'most all of them.  Everyone (including judges - naturally) will give up varying degrees of one or two traits in order to get a little more of another - no one animal is perfect for everyone. 

My advice is to look at as many calves as you can, and select the one you feel puts together the best combination.  The one you like the best is the one you'll be proudest of and work hardest on, therefore will most likely be the one you'll do the best with in the show ring...