steer walks with a snapping ankle

Help Support Steer Planet:

sancho78017

Well here i am with a question for those who know more then me about show steers... i have a 850 lbs steer that when he walks one of his back legs has a small snap to his ankle when he puts weight on it... it does not bother him. the question is... Is there something that i need to give him for his joints that will help this or do i need to start excising him... we have not been walking him just very little like a lap or 3 around the house but not much and this is happening about twice a week.  Any way i just wanted to here from some of y'all about this

thank ;you

Sancho78017

CJC

We have a heifer that does that when she first gets up; after she walks around a little bit she's fine.I mean you can see it ; looks like it is going to come out the joint

Cowgurl101

Ive had steers like this before and i think its because they are too straight legged ,mostly in the pasterns. I guess you could try different stuff, but ours didnt really benefit from walking/exercising. If your steer isnt too straight legged it might make a difference - i dont know.

dagrate1s

Definately use Natural Stride. We had a steer pop in his pasterns and his knee would also fill with fluid and swell because he was a little too straight out of his rear legs. We were recommended to use Natural Stride and the steer is about 2 weeks from going to the state fair and looks great, and walks great. He does still occasionally get a little fluid build up when he stands in one place for a long time (like a grooming chute at a show) but it does not hinder his movement. Mind you this steer was reserve, 3rd overall, grand, and grand at the four shows leading up to going into the cooler room in april-may. I would recommend Natural Stride to anyone.

Craig

sancho78017

dagrate1s said:
Definately use Natural Stride. We had a steer pop in his pasterns and his knee would also fill with fluid and swell because he was a little too straight out of his rear legs. We were recommended to use Natural Stride and the steer is about 2 weeks from going to the state fair and looks great, and walks great. He does still occasionally get a little fluid build up when he stands in one place for a long time (like a grooming chute at a show) but it does not hinder his movement. Mind you this steer was reserve, 3rd overall, grand, and grand at the four shows leading up to going into the cooler room in april-may. I would recommend Natural Stride to anyone.

Craig
thank you, i will give it a go....

MaggyCattle

I have also heard that Bovi Stride works well to help keep a fluid stride.
I had a shorthorn heifer that would pop her pasterns every so often, It went away with lots of exercise!! Show day I would walk her for almost an hour first thing in the morning then for about 20 minutes before I would put her in the chute and she wouldn't pop her pasterns in the ring

bcosu

i've been told that selenium will help keep calves from making popping noises. this might help if you are in a selenium defficient area.

shortyjock89

cbcfarms said:
i've been told that selenium will help keep calves from making popping noises. this might help if you are in a selenium defficient area.

Yep, thats why the BoSe that BCCC suggested might help  O0

Latest posts