Steer wont drink

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Cattle

I cant get my steer to drink anything at shows. I have took his water away the night befor the show, and he still wont drink. What can I do?

lowann

We have the same problem at the state fair. Some cattlemen put Kool-Aide in their water at home for a few days, then add it to the city water when they get to the show.  They just don't like city water. Maybe they know something we don't???

M-n-M Cattle Company

If you don't already have a filter you could get one. We use one that goes on a cloths washer and it works great. (the city water I guess???) Another thing that works is when you put hay in front of them for the night you could put salt on it. By morning all of our cattle drink a bucket or more.

box6rranch

We always bring a water filter with us. We use the ones you can buy at a camper supply place. It definitely helps, the cows hate the smell and taste of chlorine in city water. We also use Mormon's Fire Water.

txshowlamb

I had this same problem last year. What I ended up having to do was bring water with us from home..and salt! We poured salt down his mouth and boy did he get thirsty after that. You can either pour directly in the mouth it works faster or fill up some emtpy pill capsules and do it that way..you might also try cherry electrolights,kool aid,filters..none worked for other than bringing water from home and salt good luck!
Britt

cattleking

Thanks for all the info. guys and girls as we all know a fresh steer looks really good in a prospect show, i think im going to get some kool aid for my calve... OK and some for me too  (lol)

vc

Your best bet would be a combination of things, start at home by putting a small piece of the pool chlorinating tablet in you water trough, put it in something plastic like a cup and sink it if it set directly on the steel you will get corrosion on the metal.This will also help with moss and algae in your trough.
Add something to change the taste and smell of the water at home, coolaid, firewater, powdered gator aid, or molasses.

At the show filter the water and add the same flavoring you used at home, should drink.

SlickTxMaine

Last show,  we brought water from home, and my son's steer still wouldn't drink much at all.  Our breeder did not like the idea of giving him salt, because he said if he still would not drink, something would happen to his neck....maybe swell?  Don't remember exactly, but we did not try the salt thing.  Anyone know what he was talking about??

jlingle

The last show I went to, our steer did the same thing.  My daughter's ag teacher told me a few days ago to put some chlorine tabs in his water tank at home & he'd drink when he got to the next show (I know somebody else already said this... but thought I'd back their play).  The ag teacher kinda knows his stuff, so we're trying it. 

drew06

Water from home is good. we do that for county week. i.ve found lil beer poured in their water bucket works if you got any extra ;) yeast blows em up

[cowgirl_up_47

Last year one of our heifers wouldn't drink, so we poured a little Coke in her water. Every morning, we went to the machine and bought a Coke for her and just poured a little in her bucket of water. She drank it just fine. We had tried molasses, but she still wouldn't drink it.

Some people also use the powdered Gator Aid or electrolytes.

Ric

definitely go kool aid or some type of soda, mine do well with mountain dew

DFSC

We've always used sugar free Kool Aid and it's worked very well for us. Put it in the water at home for about a week before you leave and they should have no problem at the show. Be careful about the color of the Kool Aid...it does tend to stain. Good Luck!

Jordan