Steer won't gain weight!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Does anybody know any supplement or ant tricks to make a steer eat and gain more weight? I weighed him this morning and he weighed 1315 and our fair is August 17-22. The steer show is the 19 and i need him to weigh anywhere close to 1400lbs!

Thanks I am thankful for all your help!!

We arew feeding him 2 scoops of Purina Show Chow...1 1/2 scoops of beet pulp...1 scoop of barley and 8 oz. of Hght Octane Pellets(99% fat)

BCCC

I would have increase your feed a month ago. I am feeding a 600 pound heifer 4 scoops of Purina Show Chow, a Scoop of Full Tank(pelleted beet pulp), and 4oz. of Sumo(70% fat)

Thanks RW! ...We did increase his feed. But we were basically wasting it because he wouldnt eat it all. So thats why we cut it down so he would just clean it up in the feed pan.

kane1598

I agree, you really need to feed him more. BCC, our show ration is very similar to yours lol. Except we dont start feeding our heifers beet pulp heavily, that have too much volume as it is. You might also want to try some cooked corn or corn oil. I would be feeding him double what you are, our heifers get about 15 lbs a day, they are about 900 lbs now. The oil really makes them shine too. Best of luck

BCCC

kane1598 said:
I agree, you really need to feed him more. BCC, our show ration is very similar to yours lol. Except we dont start feeding our heifers beet pulp heavily, that have too much volume as it is. You might also want to try some cooked corn or corn oil. I would be feeding him double what you are, our heifers get about 15 lbs a day, they are about 900 lbs now. The oil really makes them shine too. Best of luck
Yeah normaly mine dont see beet pulp until they are at least yearlings except at shows, but I am trying to get her to drop her flank some, and get some more rib (hmm sounds like a typical paddy lol) Agree with the coking corn, or even cook some of the barley your feeding. You should be feeding at very least 3% of his body weight. Are you feeding him in pans tied up all the time? Try feeding him in a bunk just loose in his pen, mine only eat about 3/4 of their ration when I feed out of pans. Feeding multiple times a day will also help increase his feed intake. Good Luck!

Hofstatter Farms

first thing you do is cut back a little on the beat pulp. you want him to gain and beat pulp is just a gut expander, doesn't pack on the pounds. that should make some room in his gut to up your feed. also it is a little late but have you implanted him at all?

stangs13

Just pour the feed! I wish you had asked this question a month ago, because there are a few products that really get them gaining, but its to late for them now.. I agree on knocking off some of the beet pulp..he wont gain anything off of that..and that makes room for more feed. How is he on his finish? It sounds like he needs more by the amount of energy he is getting. how cool is he being kept? He needs to have clean water AAT. You can try top dressing with molasses or glu-coat to help him eat more!! Good luck.

We are feediing him tthe beet pulp so he has more room in his stomach for the feed! But i do understand that the beet pulp wont pack on the pounds.

Hofstatter Farms

Ohio Cattle Man said:
We are feeding him the beet pulp so he has more room in his stomach for the feed! But i do understand that the beet pulp wont pack on the pounds.
I understand the beet pulp however you have to remember when you feed it it expands and there for limits the room for feed at that time. If he has enough guts you could even cut the beet pulp completely out.

vc

Maybe it is just me, but how much is a scoop?
Is the calf finished or do you need the extra 85 pounds to put the finish on him?
If he is finished I would feed him the way you are and hold water back the day you weigh and let him drink all he wants right before you weigh.
Do you have any pictures so we can see his current condition?

Here is some pictures.. not the best but they are pics. The steer is not finished yet and a scoop is 3lbs.

Attachments

• 0803091435.jpg
    0803091435.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 0803091434.jpg
    0803091434.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 324