Steers Won't Eat - At Wits End

Help Support Steer Planet:

cyclone38

I need some help. I'm pulling what's left of my hair out here. Here is what is going on. Have a crossbred (900lbs) & a Purebred hereford (1185lbs) steer and am at wits end with getting them to eat. It's like neither of them really want to eat their feed, just want to attack hay and aren't eating what they should each day. Herefords stool is on the looser end but makes a nice little pile when he goes. The crossbred is LOOSE and it splatters everywhere. I'm not as concerned about the hereford as I am the crossbred as he will not make weight at this rate. Here is feeding time: tied to feed pans at 5:30 am, rinsed brushed & blown then tied in barn for day with one flake grass hay for each of them. Starting at 6 pm they are rinsed, brushed & blown then tied to feed for 30-45 minutes. then turned loose in lot. The lot has some green grass in it but all very short. I throw 1/3 to 1/2 a bale grass hay out to them. They eat the heck out of it. Was feeding a Purina Grand 4-T-Fyer mix prepared and bagged a the local mill. Have since switched to a complete feed. Hereford has improved, crossbred has not. Hereford eats about 12-14 lbs feed a day not including the little hay they get and the crossbred less. Other things that I do: 1. Water is clean and cool 2: stress tub in the lot 3: Sure Champ is fed 4: wormed regularly.

So now what? Are they just being A-Holes about eating? Should I put a round bale out for them in the pen to eat on during the night? I have never ever had this happen before. Any advice or help would be appreciated!!!!

frostback

Treat for Coccidiosis. Then probios a day after finished treatment and then start back on grain slowly. Is your hay grass? Keep feeding it, less hay does not equal more grain intake.

grandchamp58

Try Corid with amprolium. Works amazing. just a few drops in their water for 5-7 days and they will be eating better.

idalee

These steers are begging for fiber.  They have SARA - subacute ruminal acidosis and need hay to correct their sore rumens.   

cowboylaw

What color is the stool?  You probably need to increase hay consumption. 

Have you been weighing the steers to see if they are gaining weight? 

cyclone38

Thank you for advice. Will increase hay and see where it goes. Thanks everyone!