Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I was wondering how judges like a steer to look around different parts of the country. Here (SW idaho)  they like a fairly short steer with about 1200# on him.

red

Good question Renegade!

Here is Ohio they seem to like that 1250 pound range. I'd like to say they're looking for the most sound calf but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Good butts & lots of hair a big factor. I'm sure OH B can add more towhat they're looking for here.

Red

renegade

Well, it's weird because i never thought about hair being a big deal until i started looking at forums like this. We dont do slick shear cattle at our fair but there are only a few kids who have any to speak of ( those of course being the kids that put down big money for a steer - not to make a profit but to be grand champ and to show in associations). When we got our herefords one person said it may be best to shave them and another girl from texas shaved her heifer at the begining of the year. I would have to say i like how much hair ours have though - makes them look better.  Also on the weight you can get up to 1300 but anywhere past that our judges start to dock(usually).

farmboy

DOWN HERE ITS HARD TO TELL, SEEMS LIKE EVERY YEAR THEY PICK ONE TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE LAST YEAR. THIS YEAR IM GOING TO HAVE ONE THAT ACTUALLY HAS SOME HAIR ::) HAIRY CALVES THIS TIME OF YEAR ARE WHAT IT TAKES AND GOOD BONE AND MUSCLE

OH Breeder

Last year at Ohio State Fair the Champ was around 51 or 50 and was 1300's and the reserve was 49 and 1300#s. It depends on the judge. It seems our fats our on the shorter side. A 53 incher is considered a monster or too big, and I have to laugh as I showed in the 80's when you wanted 55". I think that it also depends on the calf. I had a 49" and 1200 last year and it depended on the judge. For his size he was great. But every judge is different.
It should be fit and finish but you know how that goes. I think the largest steer i saw win last year at the state level division champ and local county fair grand was 52.5". All of 1385#'s.

renegade

I wanted to show a charolais next year but i hope he wont be to tall - winning isn't everything - but it sure is fun. Although if he is a good steer i don't think they would dock him in a class for being too tall - would they?

farmboy

MY THEROY IS THAT IF YOU HAVE A BIG FRAMED STEER(TALL) HE NEEDS TO HAVE A MATCHING FILL ON HIM AND MORE MEAT WHEREAS SHORT STEERS HAVE LESS MEAT TO PACK ON AND LESS FILL TO LOOK GOOD