Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

mchalmar

Hello, I have a few questions regarding steers, preferabley Red Angus, and I would much appreciate your opinion/answer.
1A. How old should a steer be at show?
1B. At what age (on average)would you say a Red Angus steer finishes at?
2. What is a good Red Angus steer producing sire?
3. What Red Angus breeders in Texas, or who are willing to deliver to Texas, do you recomend?
Oh! And please see my poll to help me even  <beer>

cowman 52

You are going to have a tough time with a red angus in Texas. You find one that is good enough and the sifting guys will swear he is a cross bred. The goal is finding one plain enough to pass and good enough to get along. 

CameronW

I know of some good red angus in the Chorpus Christi area. They have some great bloodlines with some major show wins in there. They have calves born all year and might have some available.

BTDT

cowman 52 said:
You are going to have a tough time with a red angus in Texas. You find one that is good enough and the sifting guys will swear he is a cross bred. The goal is finding one plain enough to pass and good enough to get along.

Which is the exact reason I do not like the "texas system".  While I agree that registration papers only prove someone paid someone some money for a piece of paper, how does the "eyeball system" work any better?

BTDT

mchalmar said:
Hello, I have a few questions regarding steers, preferabley Red Angus, and I would much appreciate your opinion/answer.
1A. How old should a steer be at show?
1B. At what age (on average)would you say a Red Angus steer finishes at?
2. What is a good Red Angus steer producing sire?
3. What Red Angus breeders in Texas, or who are willing to deliver to Texas, do you recomend?
Oh! And please see my poll to help me even  <beer>

1A. A fat steer should be approx. 15-16 mos of age in any breed.
1B. A fat steer should be approx. 15-16 mos of age in any breed.
2. Depends on the female. Are you going to carcass shows or just halter shows? Many of the modern red angus will make nice steers depending on what bloodlines they are crossed with.
3. You might look in Oklahoma, they have a good red angus assoc.  Most breeders will deliver for a price!!

Good luck and happy hunting.

chambero

If you want a red angus steer for Texas majors, you need to work with your ag teacher/county agent to help you find one.

Not only is it a 50/50 chance of classifying, there are so few shown that is very difficult to make the sale.  If this is your first time showing steers, I do not recommend getting a red angus.  With the exception of Fort Worth (which doesnt have red angus anyway), our other majors are # weighted for number of sale slots and its easier to make sale with another breed.  My recommendation - buy the best young calf you can find and target a light weight class.