stiff hocks on new born

Help Support Steer Planet:

tama

just a quick question actually more than one! What do you do for new Born's with that stiff hock curl under do not like to stand problem?And is it a heredity problem? I have a set of twin heifers that had this problem when born.I checked vet and we just massaged the hock and worked it for a few days and they grew out of it. They are second calfers now  and had the same problem with their calves. Funny these twins are identical and so are their calves! And again this year calved within 2 days of each other. One calf is just stiff in bottom joint other calf has a stiff leg almost a free wheeler! When I stretch the legs on both out I get a little gas pop like cracking your knuckles!I think both will be fine but odd they both have problem as did mothers.Vets first thought on moms was they were a crowded pair in womb. any thoughts? 

Joe Boy

Without seeing your calves I cannot be for sure.

I have had heifers with a larger calf that had that problem.  They have always grown out of it in a few days.  Once I made a splint from PVC, foam wrap with a horse wrap and the calf got just fine in two weeks.

It can be a mineral problem, a genetic problem, or they were crowded.  I would guess your vet is correct and they were crowded.

box6rranch

Our friends just had twins from our bull and both the twins had the same problem. I was told that it is a mineral deficiency. I can't remember what though! I think they said to give vitamin B shots. I know they said to be careful extending the hock too much though because you could damage the tendons.

Cattledog

Your calf may have a naval infection.  When I have a calf that gets swollen joints that is one the first things I check out.