Stiff steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

AndersenClubCalves

Have you ever heard of  a steer becoming stiff from to much grain? And if not does anybody know of any other reason a steer could become stiff and what we can do to fix it?

johnmetzger

I guess I would need a better discribtion as to your meaning of stiff.  Could be fondered. Ck with your vet but U might want to cut back on his grain. Too much protien.

AndersenClubCalves

JDM said:
I guess I would need a better discribtion as to your meaning of stiff.  Could be fondered. Ck with your vet but U might want to cut back on his grain. Too much protien.

His back legs are really stiff kinda seems stiff all over but he doesnt seem to want to bend his back hocks is the worst of it.

DL

AndersenClubCalves said:
JDM said:

His back legs are really stiff kinda seems stiff all over but he doesnt seem to want to bend his back hocks is the worst of it.

search for spastic paresis on this site

Cattle7

it could be something major. but last year we had a heifer that was really stiff and we walked her every night for at least an hour AFTER feeding then on show day we walked her before doing anything with her. Helped her so much.

chevelle

Could be fondered,but more than likely it is structure issues.  Its the time of year when they are putting alot of weight on those joints these clubby bred cattle cant take to much.  I think it is funny when the person who sells the calf to you, says it is your fault.

rackranch

How old is your steer and how long has he been on feed? Are you feeding a show ration from a major producer or mixing your own ration? How much are you feeding him a day and what are his average daily gains? How are the angles in his hock and pastern? ie, does he look straight to you? I don't know what part of the country your in but we just went from 90 degrees to wind chills in the forties. I noticed a couple of mine walking around a little stiff this morning too and figured its just the cool weather this morning.

AndersenClubCalves

rackranch said:
How old is your steer and how long has he been on feed? Are you feeding a show ration from a major producer or mixing your own ration? How much are you feeding him a day and what are his average daily gains? How are the angles in his hock and pastern? ie, does he look straight to you? I don't know what part of the country your in but we just went from 90 degrees to wind chills in the forties. I noticed a couple of mine walking around a little stiff this morning too and figured its just the cool weather this morning.

He has been getting atleast a little grain for about 6 months now we are mixing our own ration.  He was eating about 18lbs a day but i cut him back to 12 last time i checked he was gaining about 5lbs a day. he is too straight on his back hocks but has never walked peg legged like he is now, but it is only for awhile after he has been laying down if we walk him around he seems to go back to normal. and  accually its been in the mid 60's all week here in Idaho. Finally looks like winter is over for us.

Thanks for all the Replies and help

SlickTxMaine

If he is too straight, you can't fix him.  Walk him a lot-- we had the same problem recently, but on the front.  Walked the steer every night for 30 minutes for a month before the show, and it really helped his movement.  He still looked too straight in the front, but he walked fine.  Good luck.  Can you post a pic?

rackranch

If your steer is gaining 5lbs a day then I would think this has to be  contributing to his problem... I would love to have the feed conversionsl yall do up North...A conversion of 1 pound of gain per 3.6 pounds of feed as you have with your steer would be a lot better on my wallet than the 1 pound of gain per 5.8 pounds of feed I have now...If would try to give him as much exercise as you can or turn him out at night with other animals to play with..Keep an eye on his hocks...G-Luck

AndersenClubCalves

SlickTxMaine said:
If he is too straight, you can't fix him.  Walk him a lot-- we had the same problem recently, but on the front.  Walked the steer every night for 30 minutes for a month before the show, and it really helped his movement.  He still looked too straight in the front, but he walked fine.   Good luck.  Can you post a pic?

Here is a picture of him that was taken a couple of months ago before the problem started.

Attachments

• 0412111628a.jpg
    0412111628a.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 359

SlickTxMaine

He is very straight.  As he gets heavier, his movement will get worse, in terms of stiffness.  How much does he weigh and when is your show?  I would try giving him plenty of excercise.  Not just turning him out in a bigger pen, but making him walk.  If you can get those joints moving he will likely loosen up-- but can't guarantee how much.  It's worth a try.