Stimulus Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

JbarL

my ranch manager and i have decided to invest our government stimulus check in our local livestock auction and make a "bovinien" investment.....one that may last along time.......depending on the checks  arrival  ( thats  a part of the deal...cant buy till check is in hand...)...decided to invest in the only made in the usa product we had at hand.....prices are quite decent now in the area...could buy a decent heifer for???...how about in your area??......what could 3 or 5 folks do as a aggregate with a "stimulus beef portfolio" ????...just a thought....thought wed see what everone else thought?...jbarl

JbarL

the only rules we have is that  only the amount of the check can be used...yoiu can buy anything....what does 600.00 buy at your local auction??..what did it buy 6 wweks ago???....what will it buy 6 weeks from now?...would yo buy a heifer for the "gift that keeps on giving"....table meat each year after.....could you buy a "pair" for 600.00 at your local  area ???..how does that multiply into the stimulus plans origional intent...we continue to buy feed (usa) and supplies ( local business folks)...and we get the long term benifits of our knowledge of our abilityto purchase cattle for commercial use, and free money to do it with....looking forward to this saturdays  prices......big wigs say the monies on  its way....friend bought 500#  heifer ( high % herford ) for .63  =   $ 315.00 ( athens co. ohio jan 08)  she'll be breed in aug to his angus bull..... seems like the theory of this "plan"  to just spend, and let it go dont make alot of sense.....shoot you could spend it at wal mart in  an hour............we think an "investment" by those with thte facalities will see more of a benifit to ourselves, and the community if we buy avaliable stock at the auction and use our talents of keeping, a raising and marketing these animals for a long term return...seems like the only thing we could lose is ( besides 600.00...cow that dies???)...possibility our true ability of buying commercial/ local stock by the ole fashion way......buy touch and sight.....not names....we are having a ball with it,,,,anticipation is rising now with the looming possibility of our "checks" making the national news this evening.......wondering if the price does go up at the auction house....if it will conicide with the avaliable funds nation wide....or if it does....is it "prelly concidental"..........we plan on looking our "stimulus  relief" right in the face for season or two( even if it isnt the same color of whats usually hangin' around ;)....even if we regret our decision...our monies still stay in "our" community "...jbarl  ( pics to follow, for sure) :)

showsteerdlux

$600 could probably buy an 800 pound heifer here in nc. cow/calf pairs about the same. Calves are green down here though because of the drought.

Cowboy

Happened to catch a few minutes of the Superior Livestock Auction on RFD today, was in the western region markets.

Feeder hfrs ( some would go as replacements depending on who you were) weighing 600-725 would bring in groups of oneload or more, frmo .95 to 1.12 pper pound. A group of Red Angus feeders, obviously GOOD quakity and may go as replacements -- went for 1.14 -- these weighed 640 pounds comnig next week -- came out of Colorado.

Didn't see any steers, but I only had a few minutes to watch. I thought the market was down steeply from last month or two.

As far as me seeing what the gov is doing about the STIM package, haven't noticed last couple days. If every one gets a 600 dollar check, that would put about 290 gallons of LP in the tank, butwould never buy a pair or even  a good replacement hfr here.

SW NeB sales have been at least as mentioned, with some pairs bringing over 1350, even good young bred's are still well into the 1100 plus range.

30 days to calving, meybe I should spend it on 8 more bales of Alfalfa -- but that would only buy about 7.4 bales at today's price.

With 8 more inches of new snow yesterday, I think the LP sounds pretty good -- agreed would rather have another hfr!

Good luck all -- I am sure the Gov has just unleashed an entire herd of 3 legged turtles with checks attached, we should be seeing them sometime in this decade -- depending if they are up hill from where we are now!  ::)

Terry
(thumbsup)

knabe

buy an embryo, they haven't intitiated a feed bill yet, only nitrogen refills.
the cost of putting it/them in is extra.

JbarL

"stimulus cow"....not "free cow".... :D....the whole idea is to "stimulate".......your gonna buy feed anyway???......your gonna pick up poop anyway......you may even have a bull or some semen around.... ;)...who no's what kinda future an ole' auction cow may have with some of these fine cow folks..... (clapping)....jbarl

knabe

embryo's aren't free?  also stimulous might be a new cow family name slightly tweaked from emulous

also, the stimulous package isn't free either ::)

embryo calves can't stimulate?

maybe i missed something.

JbarL

buying an embryo is a great "investment"....the "stimulus" is "supposed" to "vigorate" the economy ( there explaination...not mine  :() )  and the tax payer....the only thing we can stimulatewith this amount of mioney  is our own burg/town/  and immediate area.......thats what he and i are interesed in ..... specifically our ittle piece of the  south east tip of athens co......"especially" ag related ....(feed/embryo/fertilizer/seed/medicine/stock/nitrogen)........we have another neighbor \who is wanting to participate as well......we both feel blessed to be able to even have this oppertunity, because we know several folks who will use it for heating oil/ car repair/kids clothes/food/bills.ect....  ....thanks all and god bless            jbarl

Latest posts