stolen blowers and cart from the ohio beef expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

Not to get too far of topic but how does everyone mark their stuff to insure that if someone takes it you can get it back or so that it's obvious they shouldn't take it?  I use a dremel tool to engrave most everything, brushes, combs, cans...everyone laughs because I have everything engraved.  We also show horses and have a lot of leather and I am seriously considering buying a custom leather stamp which I will also use on my show halters.

Mike

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
Isn't that called insurance fraud? 

From what i was told is that they showed up and lock had been cut and the generator was gone.  I don't think they were ever approached by the management personally.  So as far as they knew it was stolen....  There were a couple other ones that were impounded so i think thats probably what happened to theirs...  They weren't gonna be over backwards to find out though..  This was just a rumor i was told...  Sometimes things get exargerated...

Jill

Unfortunetly this is all too common, I can remember the 1st time anything was stolen from us we were at a National Jr. Show and someone stole our feed pans from tie outs, we were pretty new and just couldn't imagine why anyone would need to steal feed pans.  We have learned you lock everything up, even then it's not guaranteed, we had a generator stolen from tie outs a couple of years ago, they just cut the chain.

justme

Last year we were at the Brookfield show and my son had a little baby calf there.  I was helping Evan pull up the legs and had his new little show halter in the lawnchair behind me.  I turned to get the halter and can you imagine it was gone?  Broke my sons heart  I wish I could have found that person just so they could see a 6 year old's heart breaking.  We now know to gaurd things

PLKR

While this problem of thievery at shows may be getting worse, it is not a new problem. Back in the mid to late '80s we had sale cattle at the Iowa Beef Expo--started to do morning chores at the tie-outs ( former 4-H barn) and discovered our feed pans were gone. After a short search I found them in front of some Limi cattle from OK ( no offense to Limi breeders or Okies... ;D), picked them up, dumped out the feed, and started to take them back to our stalls. The fella taking care of the Limi cattle asked what the he!! I was doing--I told him "taking back my feed pans"--which were very obviously marked with our prefix.....not all thieves are smart!    ;D

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sorry to say the same thing happens here in Canada........some shows you have to check your underwear frequently to be sure they haven't been stolen. They won't stop at theivery at shows. A couple of years ago they broke into my garage while I was at work and stole my clipper boxes and show halters........they knew what they were looking for as they left air compressors, tools, lawnmowers and chainsaws alone..........sad that someone woulld stoop that low.

Part Timer

Some people just cant help themselves. Well i guess they can. That suck that you put all that time and money into getting it and poof its gone                                                                                                                                       

linnettejane

didn't someone actually have some cattle stolen at a show?  i vaguely remember something about that, but never heard how it turned out...

farmboy

2 or 3 years ago at the AGR we came in at 5 30 and was missing a calf... she slipped halter and made her way under the viaduct where someone tied her up with their calves. Never ever found out who caught her though

shortyjock89

linnettejane said:
didn't someone actually have some cattle stolen at a show?  i vaguely remember something about that, but never heard how it turned out...

CYT had some stolen at NAILE a couple years ago.

trevorgreycattleco

2007 was when CYT got robbed. That was my first trip to Louisville and I was so  shocked someone actually could do that. Ended up hearing they found the heifers but the bull got killed thro the stockyard. all i can say is if i catch anyone stealing anything from anybody, I will have to go mid-evil on someone O0. there is alot of people at the ohio beef expo. Watch the ebay and craigslist for sure. crooks after all are crooks because they are lazy and dumb. Just may get lucky.

crozz

I watched a showman steeling a set of clippers while i came back for a different halter, my clippers. He got an asswhoopin right in front of all of the others. He packed his crap up and left. We need to help watch each others stuff. We sit by each others stuff for days, we know who isn't to be there. Lets help each other out, kick a little ass and go home feeling good! 

steel

Theft is getting real bad.  I'm not sure it going to get better either.  This may or may not help but, our house got broken into a couple months ago.  The S.O.B's cleaned us out!  The police said that with the traffic of people that are moving on a daily basis they never have much luck.  I hate to hear that for anyone just the same.

Diamond

a few years ago a bunch of us girls (oldest being about 19)where having a little camp out in the barn, not such a big deal since there was a ton of security. Well, we awoke to some guy dragging one of the girls away on her cot. he took off like a bat outta hell when several of us jumped up and grabbed her, but snatched my custom jacket on his way out.  Another girl and I spent the night awake and I know the creeper was sneaking around outside the cattle barn, so much for the guards.

irh

I'll tell you what Columbus is getting to be a very scary place for cattle shows,  We know we are looking for a better hotel next year, our son was getting pretty scared on the 2nd floor of the Howard Johnson,  I know one thing we are glad not to have to live in the big cities, we are blessed to live in the country.  The cattle business has alot of shroud people involved in it anymore, we lock everything up