Strange acting calf -- Constipation maybe??

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

This morning I noticed a calf that would lay down, then stand back up.  Walk a few steps in a circle, and then lay back down again.  He did this several times, then he walked over to the creep feeder with the other calfs, but then went back to the spot where he was and laid down again.  Jumped back up, walked a few steps then laid down again.

It looked like possible constipation.  Does that sound right?  Is best treatment a simple enema.

red

I'd also be looking at hardware disease. Wonder if a magnet would help? Not bloated is he?

Red

GLZ

Not bloated at all, just up and down behavior. 

He did lay all the way on his side flat one time, but the rest of the time it was just up and down.  I have never had a problem with hardware disease, so I would be surprised at it.  He is probably only 130 pounds right now, as he is just a late March baby.

Bawndoh

It could be a twisted gut.  Was he kicking at his belly?  Sometimes when they do that its a navel infection, but he is too old to have just developed one.  I would call the vet if this persists.  It could have been a simple stomach ache from eating something out of the ordinary. 
Like Red said, a bolus wouldnt hurt.

NHR

We had a bred cow do this last year and just thought she was aborting her calf. After she died we found out she had twisted her gut. Get to a vet!

DL

This calf is telling you that it is in pain - cattle being prey species do a great job of hiding pain - as caretakers of cattle we need to learn to read their subtle behavior changes - it may have "gas" or it may have a twisted gut or it may have an intussusception - you need to call your vet - good luck

GLZ

Minor update:

Apparently it was nothing to worry about.  The calf was running around in the pasture later on today.

oakbar

Our Who Made Who heifer had a swollen belly and acted crampy and uncomfortable for an entire day a couple of weeks ago.  The vet said it was colic and gave  her  an emulsion that looked like pepto bismol. 

At 10 that night when I checked on her, she had gotten worse.    I thought I'd see if nursing her momma would help and let the cow in the barn.  The calf took off out the door into a cold, driving rain.  45 minutes later, after chasing her around in knee deep muck and finally tackling her against the barn wall to get her back in,    I swore at her, wiped the slime off my entire body, and muttered something like " go ahead and die then you little -----!"  I then went in told my wife she'd probably be dead by morning and went to bed.    The next morning her belly was no longer swollen and I swear that dang calf was grinning at me!!  Maybe chasing em 10 miles through the mud and tackling them as you would an elusive running back is the best way to alleviate the problem.  Actually, I don't know why she got better, but I'm sure glad she did.  I think she's going to be a very good heifer!!