Strange Scenario...

Help Support Steer Planet:

DCC_Cattle

We have a shorthorn heifer that was due on March 1st. She has shown no signs of calving. She was only AI'd one time, 30 days later tested pregnant and has NEVER been with a bull. We had the vet palpate her on her due date and he suggested inducing her, but was worried because she hasn't really developed an udder. So we have been holding off hoping something would happen... So we induced her 41 hours ago, and still no sign of calving. Ours usually go right at 36 hours. The day she was induced I felt a head and feet right where they need to be. Also, she has never had any discharge at all and that seems weird also. What could be going on here?

dare3324

Our mentor in the cattle business is a long time shorthorn breeder. He always says it takes longer to make a bull. His rule is the longer it goes past due the odds go up it is a bull, after 10 days it is almost for sure. My sons first steer we bought from him and was 14 days overdue. I would not worry.

DL

DCC_Cattle said:
We have a shorthorn heifer that was due on March 1st. She has shown no signs of calving. She was only AI'd one time, 30 days later tested pregnant and has NEVER been with a bull. We had the vet palpate her on her due date and he suggested inducing her, but was worried because she hasn't really developed an udder. So we have been holding off hoping something would happen... So we induced her 41 hours ago, and still no sign of calving. Ours usually go right at 36 hours. The day she was induced I felt a head and feet right where they need to be. Also, she has never had any discharge at all and that seems weird also. What could be going on here?

In my experience a cow or heifer that does not calve after inducing with dexamethasone and lutalyse  (BTW what did you use to induce her?) has some sort of an issue, esp with no udder and no signs of labor  - when he suggested inducing her did he say the calf was alive? have your vet back out to check her

R1Livestock

dare3324 said:
Our mentor in the cattle business is a long time shorthorn breeder. He always says it takes longer to make a bull. His rule is the longer it goes past due the odds go up it is a bull, after 10 days it is almost for sure. My sons first steer we bought from him and was 14 days overdue. I would not worry.

The only reason I would worry is that the calves don't quit growing at the due date and this is a heifer.  In general the only calves we ever have birth weight issues with are the ones that are in there too long.  Around 7-plus days over is when we start to worry the calf may be getting large.  Since you know the breeding date, I'd say you were right on starting to get it out.  No bag, no discharge, and no signs of labor are certainly not ideal.  Your vet is obviously apprised of the situation, I'd have him back out, also and go from there.

DCC_Cattle

We gave her 5cc of Lute and 15cc of Dex. This usually works everytime for us. We have seen movement in her belly, so the calf is probably alive. We are going to call the vet if nothing is happening by tomorrow.

ShowmanQ

kfacres said:
no bag= I bet she's got another cycle to go.

That is hardly feasible if she was NEVER in with a bull and only AI'd one time...

ShowmanQ

kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:

That is hardly feasible if she was NEVER in with a bull and only AI'd one time...

any neighboring bulls?

spontaneous reproduction at it's finest.

No bull possibility at all, whatsoever. Also, she blood tested preg to her AI date.

kfacres

ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:

any neighboring bulls?

No bull possibility at all, whatsoever. Also, she blood tested preg to her AI date.

then do a C-section and get the calf out RIGHT NOW_ I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear in the first place...

mainegirl

We induced our recips this past weekend and the only problem we ran into was a couple of them didn't want to lay down and push. They didn't have much discharge either. Their milk came in after the calf was born. I would have the vet come back and check her out just to be on the safe side. Good Luck and let us know what you get.

ShowmanQ

kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:

any neighboring bulls?

then do a C-section and get the calf out RIGHT NOW_ I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear in the first place...

Not really sure who you think you are supposed to be. If you are so knowledgable why are you not out putting that wisdom to work in a positive manner? You sure have an awful lot of time to monitor this board, for no other reason than to stir the pot. What qualifies you to be such as jackass to everyone about everything?

kfacres

ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:

any neighboring bulls?

Not really sure who you think you are supposed to be. If you are so knowledgable why are you not out putting that wisdom to work in a positive manner? You sure have an awful lot of time to monitor this board, for no other reason than to stir the pot. What qualifies you to be such as jackass to everyone about everything?

why ask a question if you do not intend to listen to all responses- or is it just to back up your own thoughts?  People ask questions, and then ignore them-- wasting the poster's time.

ShowmanQ

kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:
ShowmanQ said:
kfacres said:

any neighboring bulls?

why ask a question if you do not intend to listen to all responses- or is it just to back up your own thoughts?  People ask questions, and then ignore them-- wasting the poster's time.

What you gave was not a response to the question. you initially did answer the question by saying to be patient and wait...you could not stop there. You insisted that the heifer had to have been bred by some other bull and was due in another heat cycle, she was not. The main question at hand was why a heifer would be showing NO signs of being the slightest bit ready to calve...no swelling of the vulva, no udder, nothing. The last thing anyone was looking for was for you to say "go ahead and have a c section right now"... in fact, no one needs your approval to do anything. You are not God's gift to livestock husbandry, although it seems you might like to think that.

Letting someone's question go unanswered is FAR better than getting some BS response from you because you feel it is your duty to tell everyone they are doing things incorrectly. Again, what are your credentials?

I am reminded of a great adage "after arguing with the moron long enough, people start to wonder who the moron really is" ..... with that said, I will dismiss conversation with you, so as to not further fall into your trap. You got what you wanted, I bit.

CAB

The average time for an induced labor is 48 to 72 hours. My guess is that it will happen close to those times. If the calf is positioned right as you say, try to be patient a while longer and see how she progresses. A few shots of oxytocin follow up after patrician will help her milk come in quicker.

DCC_Cattle

Well the mystery has been solved. She was checked at 2:30 am and was showing no signs and at 6:30 had feet and head. One leg was a little further back and she didnt have a whole lot of room. She was taken to the vet clinic, inticipating a C-Section, but she ended up not needing one, once they got the one leg pulled forward. Unfortunately, it was too late for the calf, he was already filled with fluid. He did show signs he was alive, but lungs were already full. The heifer is ok, I guess the next question is whether to send her on down the road, seeing that she will probably not be the best milker and have calving difficulty. It will be a hard thing to do!

The vet said that sometimes they do just not stretch out like they need to or develop an udder. She got the calf as far as she could get it but due to not being stretched at all, she just gave up.

ALTSIMMY 79

That's some very tough luck right there. All depends on how attached to the heifer you are and if you personally feel she deserves another chance.

willow

Wow that is rough.  Better luck next time.  Go with your gut on keeping the heifer.