Strange visitor

Help Support Steer Planet:

yuppiecowboy

I have many times found a wayward cow, many a yearling, and the occasional very unwelcome bull, but I got something that is beyond me and I would welcome someone to one up me.

A Vietnamese pot bellied pig has materialized out of nowhere and has taken up residence at the home pasture. When I say residence, I mean he acts like he owns the place. Think brother in law that sits in your easy chair and takes command of the remote, drinking your beer, blissfully carefree in all his flatulant splendor.

I admit, I have become fond of the tyke, or at least ammused. He paddles along as the girls make their natural grazing loop all around the pond, probably a half mile trek. I actually was fearful for him when one cow steamrolled him, but I shouldnt have been concerned as he got up and chased her with far more agression than my $3k blue heeler/truck co pilot could ever muster. In fact it crossed my mind to eat the dog and train the pig, but thats another story.

I am stuck between annoyance and enjoyment. As soon as I accept the little bugger as a mascot the coyotes are going to get him.

I called one buddy who trumped me with Emu, but what have been your strangest guests?

herefordfootball

(lol) If you're going for enjoyment: Take some pics and share!!! Give him a name to go along with it!!!

annoyment: HOG ROAST!!!

The weirdest visitors we have had were people asking if the cows bit. I said no, but my German Shepard might take a chunk out of ya if you dont leave!!! Just kiddin!! No I wasnt.

inthebarnagain

A neighbor of ours had a potbellied pig show up also.  Gotta love those darn city slickers that think they are a pet until they reach 200 pounds and then dump them in the country like a stray dog or cat

OqRanch

herefordfootball said:
(lol) If you're going for enjoyment: Take some pics and share!!! Give him a name to go along with it!!!

annoyment: HOG ROAST!!!

The weirdest visitors we have had were people asking if the cows bit. I said no, but my German Shepard might take a chunk out of ya if you dont leave!!! Just kiddin!! No I wasnt.
I agree with you.  Lets see some pics of your new friend.

zak

I had a city slicker come to the fram and we were walkling the calves outside in the yard and he asked me were we taking them to the bathroom!!! I said i only could wish.

Zak

justintime

We have also been seeing some strange visitors there where I live this year, ours being of the more natural wildlife kind rather than the domestic kind like pot bellied pigs. 

Here where I live it is flat open country and we are quit a ways from the forest, lakes and streams that run year round that many people think of when they think of Canada. As I said in an earlier post, the picture used in David Sinclair's ad, could have been taken on our farm, and I actually had to look to see if there was anything in the background that I could identify. Much of the country here looks just like that picture. I used to have a 1000 acre pasture that did not have one tree in it for shade. In fact there was not a bush of any kind over knee high.

In the past two weeks I have had 5 moose in one of my pastures one morning. Moose have been slowly moving into our community for several years, but I have only seen one or two previously on our farm. There have been several cougar sightings in our area this spring. Yesterday my neighbour who lives 2 miles from me, had a small herd of elk in his yard. A black bear was sighted near a town 15 miles from our farm last week. Yesterday, there was several antelope grazing in one of our pastures when I was checking. I am not sure what is causing all these animals to be moving away from their normal habitats. Over the years, I have seen an occasional elk or antelope but nothing like this year.

On a similar note, last Tuesday, I came upon an accident near our farm, where a lady had rolled her mini van several times. She was just climbing out the window when I arrived. I helped her out and after she sat down on the side of the road and she was quite sure she was not seriously hurt, I asked her what had happened. She said that she had hit a buffalo. I thought that this lady had really hit her head, and I was thinking she may be a little more hurt than she suspected. I asked her if it could have been a moose as there were some in the area. She said it was a buffalo and she had swerved to miss it and just clipped it with the fender and then she rolled. Turns out that a buffalo breeder about 40 miles from here lost 3 buffalo last October. Two were found in a pasture in January and were shot there but one was still missing. This was probably the one missing buffalo, but I have no idea where it could have been for the past 6 months. Later that day, I told a neighbour about this story, and he said that he could attest to it being a buffalo, as it was standing in his yard when he got up that morning. I asked him if he could have mistaken it for his wife taking the garbage out that morning, to which he said " Good point. Maybe it wasn't a buffalo that I saw in the yard"

box6rranch

One day after a spring snow when there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground my daughter on the way to school found a border collie pup laying in the ditch covered with snow. I get so disgusted with people throwing their dogs out on the country roads. Take them to the human society!!! Needless to say Trooper is now a member of the family......5 dogs and I refuse to take anymore in  ;D

Attachments

• the dogs.jpg
    the dogs.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 127

yuppiecowboy

I dont see pictures happening as even if I had a camera I wouldnt know how to post them. For now he is named Spiderpig (Simpsons movie) and is very content believing he is a cow. How big do those things get?

And ahfm, heelers do in fact bring that kind of money if you target customers that are drinking heavily,  susceptible to bs, and bad enough at math to believe tax deductibility rationalizes stupid purchases.

herefordfootball

yuppiecowboy said:
I dont see pictures happening as even if I had a camera I wouldnt know how to post them. For now he is named Spiderpig (Simpsons movie) and is very content believing he is a cow. How big do those things get?

And ahfm, heelers do in fact bring that kind of money if you target customers that are drinking heavily,  susceptible to bs, and bad enough at math to believe tax deductibility rationalizes stupid purchases.

(lol) HaHa Spiderpig!!! Great!!!  (lol)

chris

BCCC

yuppiecowboy said:
How big do those things get?
When my sister was a lil' tike she was given a pot belly pig that would walk on a leash and do whatever else you wanted it to do We mved about 5 miles from where we were livign and left the pig there as we would still be going over every day, and the next mornign that pig was sitten in the flowers at the new house! Took it back to the old farm, and about two weeks later it got out again and decided to go over to the feed yard where it ended up getting ran over by a feed truck :'( We had to buy her one to replace so she'd stop crying. That thing grew to about 450 pounds before we got rid of it. Most of my sows that were over 3-4 years old were weighing about 650lbs give or take a couple hundred pounds(more give then take!) I imagine after awhile she will start rooting through your pasture and tearing it up.

jlingle

I had a good friend who I hunted with for many years, and somebody dumped off a pot-bellied pig at his place about 10 years ago.  It was a sow.  There was a large population of feral hogs in the area, and the boars would breed the pot bellied pig.  She'd have litters of little piebald pigs, then jet black, then black and red spotted.... it was nuts.  There was a Mexican church in the next town over, and their pastor would take all the little half wild/half potbellies she could raise.  He said they were delicious.  Go figure.  I always thought that little sow would lure me in a trophy boar, but I was never in the right place at "the right time." LOL!!!

cdncowboy

Had these two critters show up a couple years back.  Fallow deer, still not sure where they came from.  They hung around for a few days and disappeared.

Attachments

• fallows.JPG
    fallows.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 162