Straw is my enemy :(

Help Support Steer Planet:

PinkOil Princess

So at home and at shows my heifers are bedded on shavings because they are just more practical and cleaner and easier to deal with than straw. However at my county fairs I am only allowed to bed down on straw and the heifers won't stop eating it. I have a rubber Matt and they pull it up to get to this apparently delicious straw. Any advice? Or should I just let them have there way and chow down. Thanks!

HAB

They are eating it because it is something "NEW".    They also like to eat it if they are on a rich diet, which would include most show feed rations.  They buffer their system by eating straw.
It will put a filled look on them.  You could give them access to some straw at home, then it won't be so inviting.

HavinABlast

Eating straw won't hurt them if they do it just at shows.  I wouldn't sweat the small stuff!  It will give them a full appearance!

pds

We have had a problem with our lambs eating shavings and straw at shows when we put them in the pen so we started spraying the pen with vinegar and they usually stop.

vc

pds, the competitive lamb people in are area use the ceder fiber for the lambs, at the shows. They do not eat it like shavings or straw.
You use a lot less after the first time, as well.