Stressed Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

~Normande~

Hey, so I  moved my steer into a different pen away from the rest of the calves yesterday and he is just really stressed. He is constantly pacing back and forth and is always mooing. It is a large pen with enough room for him. The reason we moved him is because the other calves would constantly push him out the way at the feed bunk at not let him eat the grain. I've tried scratching his belly as that usually calms him but, I have no luck. This is not the first time he has been away from the others. He got taken away from them quite a bit while I was working with him. I know moving to a new pen is stressful but, even when he was taken away the herd at the breeders he didn't seem to be as stressed as he is now. He is going to a mock show in a couple of weeks and want to get him calmed back down to his normal self. I am open to all suggestions. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but, I am learning. Thanks:)

vc

Is his pen at least next to another calf, if he was next to other calves it might help
He may be fine in a couple days, he may lose a little weight. We had a steer and a heifer to tether for awhile one year, when we kicked her out in the pasture with the other heifers they both talked back and forth for three days, it was like weaning.

~Normande~

vc said:
Is his pen at least next to another calf,

He is only maybe 10 yards away from the other calves' pen. He is eating fine, and finishes all his grain right away and then goes to eating hay.. Am I just making a big deal out of nothing? I just don't want him to be like this at the mock show I have coming up. Thank you!!:)

vc

Sounds like he just has a little separation anxiety, he should be fine in a couple of days.