Strictly Business Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

Don't mean to start trouble, but how are others getting along with Strictly Business daughters as cows?  I have had a couple and they didn't last past their 3rd birthday.  Beautiful to look at, but terrble milking critters.  I have talked to others with similar results.  Seems like he could take the milk away in one generation.  Anybody else have the same issue, or are mine just an fluke?

red

Hey Chap! I've never had any SB cows. I've seen them as show heifers but never much afterwards. He has a  Milk EPD of 12.3 with an acc of  .78  Moderate in my opinion.

Red

red

RSC or Tony is flushing a SB cow. He'd probalby have some good ffedback.

Red

shortyjock89

I don't have any personally, but my good friend Cody Leemon does.  She is a really good cow...easy fleshing, takes care of the calves really well...and she even has a respectable udder...but she is half Shorthorn so I'm not sure if that's where the milking ability comes from. 

red

I guess I'll be finding out soon. I forgot we had bought some embryos from a Strictly Business cow that was flushed to Habanero. They put in the embroys this week. Hopefully it's a good combination!

Red

CJB

We've got 3 SB cows.  One is 6 years old and probably has our best steer prospect this year.  She was a high dollar heifer and we've kept her around hoping that she would prove her worth, maybe she finally has.  Never has had a whole lot of milk but seems to have more this year than ever before.

The other 2 are now 4 years old and I highly doubt that they make it to their fifth birthday on our farm.  No milk at all on them and they are a lot easier to send down the road, making me doubt they will keep getting reprieves from the cull pen.

On a side note, what has everyone been breeding SB's to in order to get good calves???

red

(welcome) CJB!!!

I haven't had any calves yet but they will be out of Habanero. Just couldn't pass that match up!

Red