Stubborn and Proud

Help Support Steer Planet:

LizziNeal

I recently purchased a Gold Rush heifer in the month of March, health wise everything is fine but i was looking for some tips on keeping her moving. I understand heifers and cattle in general are known to be very stubborn animals but show season is about a month away and I'm at a loss for any new "tricks". We bought a spike chain for her show halter but it doesn't phase her the least bit, she would rather let the tractor drag her, if you twist her tail she stands there. We have found that if my dad stands about 10 feet behind her at all times she stays on the moves but swap that out with another calf like there would be in the ring and she freezes again! Other than that she is a calm calf, I know this is a limited subject but any tips would be more than helpful!

LoneHerf

I hate to tell you this but I have found that some animals are just plane stubborn. Had one similar to yours two years ago had to use a come along ratchet to get her on/ near a trailer. She only learned at her final / 11th show. She would also not walk at all so I think you might just have to live with it. But is there any tips I could offer would be to just keep working on her and try and move forward.

HavinABlast

OK so this is probably going to sound goofy but it might be worth a try.  We have a couple animals just like what you describe.  I really dislike the thought of teaching them to lead by dragging - I'd rather have the animal figure out that they can trust you and walk WITH you. 
We have been using 'treats' to our advantage.  We get the horse crunch out (you know - the small cubes that you can easily stuff in your pockets).  All of our cattle have really come to LOVE this stuff.  We use them as lures to get them to walk - feed them a few (ideally before feed time so they are hungry) just out of your hand then we hold our hand out in front of the animal with the cube in your fingers and they will walk towards it.  Start slow - rewarding those forward steps then you can move up to circling as if in a show ring and treating once halted.  You do need to then wean them down from too many treats as you don't want them to start to bully you for them.  Also a great way to lure them in from pasture!!!
It has worked wonders for us!