Stubborn Steer(s)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Turkey Creek Ranch

We have a few calves that are broke to lead, and lead well with someone behind them, but they are VERY stubborn when you try and lead them by yourself. Any suggestions???

kanshow

Not sure if this will work for you but we always try to lead the calves TO something.  We lead them TO their feed and TO their water.  That seems to get them wanting to go when we ask them to.    When we first start tying them, we set the water tubs just outside by a fence - like 5 steps for them.    We tie them so we can put feed out while they drink.    When they are done drinking, we lead them back in and let them eat.  As soon as they start going willingly, we start moving the water out and sometimes feed on the other side of the pen.  That's what works for us most of the time. 

showstick09

I have the same problem with my steer. When it's just me and him, I can't get him to budge. But after somebody helps me get him out of the pens and out in the yard, he will walk fine with just me. It's weird. 

CPL

showstick09 said:
I have the same problem with my steer. When it's just me and him, I can't get him to budge. But after somebody helps me get him out of the pens and out in the yard, he will walk fine with just me. It's weird. 

I've noticed that to. It's like they don't want to walk in their "home", but as soon as you get them away from that they are fine.