STUFF that makes you go hmmmm!

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

Every see something and wonder why? and then just forget about it.... Especially about your cows??  Well NEVER do that.... Everything you see good or bad.. or even weird is information..... I figured i would share some things that I have learned/ look for  and it maybe the start of a neat post..

Ever notice that some calves are born with no navel cord???   

red

I've seen where you had to stitch the navel cord shut. Not sure if it's the same thing?

To a cow, the grass is always greener on the other side. Or someone has better hay, feed or what ever than they do & they have to have it!

That a totally spoiled show heifer can have a calf & just poof become a fantastic mother? Instinict is wonderful & amazing!

Red

DL

sjcattleco said:
Every see something and wonder why? and then just forget about it.... Especially about your cows??  Well NEVER do that.... Everything you see good or bad.. or even weird is information..... I figured i would share some things that I have learned/ look for  and it maybe the start of a neat post..

Ever notice that some calves are born with no navel cord???   

If I am reading you right what you are seeing is the cord was busted off right close to the belly - this is an OK thing, the alternative being (1) your basic naval cord (2) the cord breaking off below the skin and the vessels don't constrict down so the calf can (does) bleed to death (inside its belly) which trust me is a total drag - especially when it is a Power Plant heifer.....

sjcattleco

Calves born with no navel cord is the result of a lack of proper  mineral consumption by the cow...

I used to feed mineral just hap hazzard... I also used to feed a salt block along with it...

Now I feed all the mineral they want  no salt block and add Se, I, and Cu to the back of commercial mineral...

if you watch your calves and write it down when you see it happen.. Calves born without a cord will not quite do as well as others....I am not saying they will be poor just not as good!!

Also watch heifers ... Thier calves are born with out cords more so than others... and it goes back to stresses and their stage of production nutrition plain..

red

The ones I've seen were from a dairy herd so not surprised on the lack of nutrition.

red

What about the time of day you breed a cow & it influencing the sex? I also thought that was interesting. Can't remember which was supposed to be which but I guess all of ours have been breed to produce heifers!

Also that number 1 eggs are more likely to be bulls while the lower quality eggs develop into females. anyone find that to be true?

Red

Jill

We have a friend that worked for TransOva and he swears that you want 2's because those are the heifers, don't know if it is correct or not.  We are putting in embryo's next week, I'll try and keep track on the ones we put in.

sjcattleco

red said:
What about the time of day you breed a cow & it influencing the sex? I also thought that was interesting. Can't remember which was supposed to be which but I guess all of ours have been breed to produce heifers!

Also that number 1 eggs are more likely to be bulls while the lower quality eggs develop into females. anyone find that to be true?

Red

One of the biggest things that can influence the sex of offspring is the pH of the female reproductive tract... years ago if you wanted a stud colt the mare was washed and cleaned with a special vinegar (acidic)  solution... if you wanted a filly the mare was washed with a
bicarb solution(basic)...

aj

I once saw a pen of black hided steers sell in a salebarn. 45 head advertised as half blood angus and elgible for the certified angus program. Every single steer calf was horned. Hmmmm... (dog)

red

aj said:
I once saw a pen of black hided steers sell in a salebarn. 45 head advertised as half blood angus and elgible for the certified angus program. Every single steer calf was horned. Hmmmm... (dog)

We sold some people a red Maine bull. They sell beef at our farmer's market & advertize their beef as Black Angus. Always gives me a chuckle because I know he throws mostly red calves. Also their cows are pretty much a commercial mixture.

Red  ;)

red

Maybe this isn't an observation but more of a question.
Do bull's that have a high rate of gain trait pass on more milk traits to their heifers?
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough- if a bull's offspring have typically a high rate of gain for feedlot cattle. Will there be a correlation for their daughters to produce more milk?

Red

sjcattleco

red said:
Maybe this isn't an observation but more of a question.
Do bull's that have a high rate of gain trait pass on more milk traits to their heifers?
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough- if a bull's offspring have typically a high rate of gain for feedlot cattle. Will there be a correlation for their daughters to produce more milk?

Red

Incresed Milk volume of  production is a result of increase frame size... they are directly collelated 

red

I understand that but this line isn't a bigger frame. He actually downsized them. The steers & bulls just have a very good rate of gain. I was impressed w/ the heifer's udders & milking ability & was wondering if it was linked.

Red

sjcattleco

aj said:
Standard angus bulls are homozygous polled so every offspring should be polled. ???

(lol)
That was before there were all the holstein genetics put into the angus... How do you think they tripled frame score.. doubled their milk epd and went from nice thick little good doing cattle to what they were in the 80s in the span of about 10 yrs...

That is also why there are so many more nearly solid black holsteins today!!! also the Blacker holsteins will grade CAB  HMMMM...

sjcattleco

red said:
I understand that but this line isn't a bigger frame. He actually downsized them. The steers & bulls just have a very good rate of gain. I was impressed w/ the heifer's udders & milking ability & was wondering if it was linked.

Red

You are starting to see the picture.... if you can find cattle that will downsize todays genetics ... and still grow at a rate that is profitable you are on to something!

The trick a cattle producer needs to figure out is how to breed cattle that are very efficient.. produce high butter fat milk and grow great calves... Kinda like A.M.!

sjcattleco

Well there is a case that your results of the experiment were skewed... its like counterfeit money.... counterfeit is a term that has been used in the show cattle / club calf industry for years and now with the DNA testing ability that term is able to be explained!