stunted maybe?? please help fast

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

ok well i have a hereford steer that i think would be a very good show steer. well last year in the winter time, we had him dry lotted with some other calves, and we also had our cows dry lotted. well the steer kept getting out and he would get in with the cows so we just left him. So then when we took the cows out to pasture he was in with them. Well two days ago we were weaning claves and he was in there( now like a year and a half and only weighing 700lbs) , about the same size as when he had been put out there.  about 700 lbs( the pastures really sucked). What i was wondering is if i brought him in and started feeding him, do you think i could get him to grow and be able to show him in the middle of july? weighing like 1200??

OH Breeder

I am not sure why you would leave a show steer in with the cows. But, if you started today you need a minimum of 2.08#'s day to hit 1200 by end of July or by July 1 you will need 2.38 #s by July 1. That is very doable. I would start feeding now and push him to the end.

Moocow11

he was going to be a show steer but then my brother decided he didnt want to show him, so we put him in with the feeders.  and with the hard winter we didnt have much time to sort him off, so when we took all the cows and there calves out to pasture he was in with them.  But you dont think he would be stunted?

shortyjock89

I didnt think you could show a two year old steer...with the milk teeth issue and all...

CAB

The calf should grow like crazy with feed, but does he still look fresh enough, and some shows do mouth cattle, so take that into consideration when decideing where you are going to show @.

renegade

In the rule books for our county fair it says they can be up to 22 months but they never check and i havent seen an age rule at the western idaho state fair.

CAB

The only show that I have ever had a calf mouthed @ was the KC Royal @ least 30 years ago. I was showing. LOL.

Diamond

yea...I have never seen them mouth in my area, or at any of the shows I have atteneded and we do about 14 a yr. I dought anyone around here even knows how.

dori36

Moocow11 said:
ok well i have a hereford steer that i think would be a very good show steer. well last year in the winter time, we had him dry lotted with some other calves, and we also had our cows dry lotted. well the steer kept getting out and he would get in with the cows so we just left him. So then when we took the cows out to pasture he was in with them. Well two days ago we were weaning claves and he was in there( now like a year and a half and only weighing 700lbs) , about the same size as when he had been put out there.  about 700 lbs( the pastures really sucked). What i was wondering is if i brought him in and started feeding him, do you think i could get him to grow and be able to show him in the middle of july? weighing like 1200??

Not knowing or seeing the steer personally, my first thought is that at 18 months, he's awfully light at 700 lbs.  Is he noticeably thin - like backbone, hooks and pins prominent?  Even with very average feed, he should have put on some weight when he was with the cows.  Accdording to your description, his weight gain was zero!  Just ordinary growth without any maturing or laying on of any  fat would up his weight from when you turned him out.  I suppose you might get some compensatory gain but I would question whether he'd ever be a great show steer.