Stupid Fair Rules.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaFFA Proud

ok tonight I was reading thru our fair book on Market Steer rules. It states cattle can only be fitted using soap and water. How in the world do u fit a steer using ONLY soap and water?? Does anyone else think this is a stupid rule...I mean the showing industry is using grooming aids shouldnt we be able to also to get experience?? Were the ONLY county to have this rule too.

okshowmom

Our county show was like that a few years ago, we call them blow and go shows. Research it to see what you can do to chg the rules. In the meantime work the devil out ur calfs hair to get ti trained!

PaFFA Proud

I got yelled at when I put show sheen on my dairy beef to keep him from getting stains on his self before the class. I hope they change the rules.

fed_champions

No, it just means no glue or paint. Lots of people use roto brushes on their legs to get the hair to stand up.

knabe

change the management instead of their minds. 

maybe have a blow and go as an option.

on the other hand, choice is such a bad idea.

Diamond

Well worked hair can stand nicely on its own, you'll just have to put in some effort befor the show. Blow and goes stink, but, it will prove who actually works...

kobo_ranch

Our county is a blow and go.. but pretty flexible I think.  Just don't think anyone use any adhesives though foam I think is used. (like shaving cream)  In Houston last year (our first time there) I rubbed our slick sheer steer with something (didn't even have oil in it) yet they pulled us and told us to wash him off!  I was pooped and angry yet we returned and still managed a 13th place out of 64. 

The Show

PaFFA Proud said:
ok tonight I was reading thru our fair book on Market Steer rules. It states cattle can only be fitted using soap and water. How in the world do u fit a steer using ONLY soap and water?? Does anyone else think this is a stupid rule...I mean the showing industry is using grooming aids shouldnt we be able to also to get experience?? Were the ONLY county to have this rule too.
It means blow and go, but they said soap and water instead bc it eliminates loop holes.

OH Breeder

Do your research and find out when the fairboard meeting is. Ask if you can attend and present your case as to why you should be allowed to show hair.

knabe

OH Breeder said:
Do your research and find out when the fairboard meeting is. Ask if you can attend and present your case as to why you should be allowed to show hair.

you mean you need a hat?

HarrisonFun1

Most of the time people make those rules because they have no clue on how to fit. They think it levels the playing field. But if you are doing the work at home it will not matter. I think it is so funny to listen to people trying to make it hard a select few. When all they are doing is making themselves look stupid. Because they will still get beat by the same calf they are making the rules up for.

firesweepranch

HarrisonFun1 said:
Most of the time people make those rules because they have no clue on how to fit. They think it levels the playing field. But if you are doing the work at home it will not matter. I think it is so funny to listen to people trying to make it hard a select few. When all they are doing is making themselves look stupid. Because they will still get beat by the same calf they are making the rules up for.
I don't agree with that. Our fair has that rule because of the expense with fitting. Add up how much it cost to buy a can of everything you need, not cheap! We have no live animal auction, just a premium auction that brings less than $100, if your lucky! Our kids are lower income, doing this for the experience (a TRUE 4-H project), and there is noting worse than having someone from out of the county come in with an animal that is glued to the hilt taking the whole show, when the county kids have worked hard all year at grooming and feeding and attending clipping clinics so they can properly fit without glue. If the outside animal is better than the local kids animal unfit, then it SHOULD beat everyone else.  There have been NUMEROUS times when one of our local kids have beaten a calf that went on to win at bigger shows, plain and simple. People like our fair because it is one day, no overnight, and gets the calves some miles without being terminal. We draw a lot of people (our show typically has 70 to100 head each year).  If you do not like the rule, do not show at our fair, it is that simple! As a parent, I like the no fit. Less stress on my kid and the animal.
You can hide a TON of faults with glue, but a blow and glow shows what they truly are - no fake hair, no fake muscle, what you see is what you get!

Jacob B

Maybe I'm just getting a little old, but if you can use soap, use saddle soap like in the old days to glue the hair up.  It takes some practice, but that will make them people mad when you are following the rules and still fitting your calves.  You aren't cheating, just working a little harder than the rest.

AAOK

I agree with some, and take great exception with others.  Personally, I think a "Fitted" show is much better because the animals are presented much better.  I certainly wouldn't want to watch the Miss America pagent if the contestants were clean, but not dressed up and wearing make-up. Seems rather drab and boring.

But, since your show is a no fit, and you don't like it, I don't understand how you think complaining to all of us is going to change anything.  Change only happens when someone makes it happen.  So, get elected or appointed to your Fair Board, align your followers, and change the rules.  It may take a couple of years, but good things don't usually come easily of quickly.

The Show

firesweepranch said:
I don't agree with that. Our fair has that rule because of the expense with fitting. Add up how much it cost to buy a can of everything you need, not cheap! We have no live animal auction, just a premium auction that brings less than $100, if your lucky! Our kids are lower income, doing this for the experience (a TRUE 4-H project), and there is noting worse than having someone from out of the county come in with an animal that is glued to the hilt taking the whole show, when the county kids have worked hard all year at grooming and feeding and attending clipping clinics so they can properly fit without glue. If the outside animal is better than the local kids animal unfit, then it SHOULD beat everyone else.  There have been NUMEROUS times when one of our local kids have beaten a calf that went on to win at bigger shows, plain and simple. People like our fair because it is one day, no overnight, and gets the calves some miles without being terminal. We draw a lot of people (our show typically has 70 to100 head each year).  If you do not like the rule, do not show at our fair, it is that simple! As a parent, I like the no fit. Less stress on my kid and the animal.
You can hide a TON of faults with glue, but a blow and glow shows what they truly are - no fake hair, no fake muscle, what you see is what you get!
$6.95 Fit show or blow and go you need a pair of clippers, and if you've worked their hair as hard as you say you have this is all you need.
F1_L.jpg

Show Heifer

I can argue this both ways.... do I think fitted shows give the advantage to those with money? yes.  Do I think unfitted shows actually gives the advantage to the best calves versus a calf that has the fitting job? Yes. Do I think unfitted shows are just as good at teaching the kids lessons of life? Yes.

But.....

PaFFA Proud, stop whining and put on your big boy/girl pants. I do not like whiners. If you do not like the way your show is being ran, then CHANGE IT. But do your research, argue facts and don't get personal, be professional, and WORK at it.  Present your case to the fairboard.  OR.... keep whining and complaining and be like everyone else and have nothing change. Your choice.

OH Breeder

Show Heifer said:
I can argue this both ways.... do I think fitted shows give the advantage to those with money? yes.HOw is that? I grew up with a water hose , brush and box fan. I had hair and used one type of adhesive for $6.95. I worked the summers and saved my money. Doesn't take money to do it but elbow grease.If you want it you will learn. That is an excuse that people who can't do it use for why they can't have hair. Do I think unfitted shows actually gives the advantage to the best calves versus a calf that has the fitting job? Yes. Do I think unfitted shows are just as good at teaching the kids lessons of life? Yes.

But.....

PaFFA Proud, stop whining and put on your big boy/girl pants. I do not like whiners.That is the pot calling the kettle black. You are the queen of all whiners. You complain more than anyone on this board. If you posted something positive I'd be shocked.99.9% of the time you are negative.[/font] If you do not like the way your show is being ran, then CHANGE IT. But do your research, argue facts and don't get personal, be professional, and WORK at it.  Present your case to the fairboard.  OR.... keep whining and complaining and be like everyone else and have nothing change. Your choice.

PaFFA Proud

I was just asking HOW do u fit an animal with just soap and water, not whining. I am glad we dont have the artificial stuff, because I seen the price of the stuff and imo to put it in and wash it out is a waste. Also our county has no idea what is really going on(they didnt know how we should clip and show our dairy beef class and they used dairy judges that actually
said they didnt know how to judge the dairy beef) so we have no one to teach us how to fit. I personally think stuff should be kept at levels, i hate that people win with animals that for example the grand and reserve champ lambs were bought at 400 each agianst max 100 lambs. It just gets me that they say our fair helps youth enter the industry which is right now is fitting their cattle. I dont have a load of money, I work hard for my animals and support my 2 girls along with my husband.....some people like going out to movies and parties........well I like showing animals and find it very rewarding. And for the person that posted all my posts are whining 1) I havent posted that many and none r complaining 2) I am just asking for advice seeing that I am new to this steer showing and all. Also I didnt know there was a different classes for fitted steers and a term blow and go which our show is I found out till now...I thought it was all the same. Thank-you everyone for suggestions and advice <beer>

Status
Not open for further replies.