suggestions on buying a generator

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

I know exactly nothing about generators but I am looking to buy one anyway. I don't want one that is too big and too heavy  but I need one that will run the things that I will need at a show. what size do you recommend? 120 volts? 240 volts? How many watts? We typically travel with 3 to 6 head at a time. I don't need it to be top of the line, I just need it to work.Thanks for your advice!

edmun2010

size depends on what you plan to run at shows.  How many blowers and fans do you need to run ?

Tallcool1

I am not an expert either.  We just bought one last season, and I had one requirement.  It needed to run a double blower. If you have several head, you can break your blowers apart and be able to blow on 2 at a time.

Make sure that it has 2 separate breakers that are at least 25A.  Make sure it is at least 6,500W.

You should be able to get a pretty good one for $700 at most any farm supply store. I know that you can spend more money and go as big as you want.  For us, that covered the necessities. 

5PCC

I don't like double blowers because the hose is too big for the kids to get their hands around comfortably. We have two blowers and three or four fans. It may be possible that all that plus some clippers can be going at the same time. I have a family member who can get me a generator at cost. I just need to tell him what I want. The thing is- I don't know what to ask for. I want something to run what I need, or it is pointless. But I don't want more power than I need either because they get too heavy and waste trailer space.

cowboy_nyk

Tallcool is correct.  6500 watts is adequate for what you describe.  Just make sure it has two circuits and the 25 amp breaker.  I run two blowers and fans, stereos, clippers etc on a cheap 6500 watt no problem.  Only issue is to get enough power to run multiple blowers, it isn't going to be a light generator.  Probably a two person job to load/unload it.

jwfarms

My one word of advice, Honda.  I bought one of those harbor freight units and had nothing but trouble.  Upgraded to the honda and not a problem since.

lebf

We use a Troy Built that I bought at Lowes. It is an 8550w surge and 5500w continuous. We run 2 blowers, 2 fans, and clippers on it all of the time. In fact I bought a second one last year for a spare because the other one is nearly 10 years old.

Auburnviewfarms

I would also look for one with the auto throttle feature. It's nice to have the generator idle down when you turn the blowers off versus running wide open all the time.  I would say atleast 5500-6500 running watts and 7500-8500 surge watts

pds

We run a Generac 15000 bought from TSC can run 5 blowers clippers and fans at one time. Our idea was one big enough to run the house during a storm and portable for show. It is heavy but we use ramps to load and it will run for about 10 hrs on a tank of fuel.

Mark H

In the 6500 Watt portable class the Ridgid RD906812B from Home Depot isn't a bad buy at around $ 1,000.  No power spiking and very clean power.  Run time is 9 hours at full load.  The Honda cost 4 times as much, didn't have the capacity but is quieter.