Sulfer Toxicity - MERGED TOPICS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sir Loin

New born with problems----------------------------- Pics

Another beautiful day here in Tenn. While I sit in side deciphering SL's chicken scratch!
The man writes like a dang court reporter with his own codes.
This is the best I can do and I thought I would share it with you. But don't tell him.
Liz

more below!

New calf  2014 – 17 WH
Pics on file.

Calf was first found 8 AM  Sun. Mother was with calf and calf was attempting to stand, but could not.
Calf believed to have been  born in early AM, as it was cleaned ,no afterbirth was found and mother's posterior was clean.

Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 10:30 AM Responded to poss sick calf.
Calf was observed lying in the pasture, mother was no where to be seen.
Calf made no attempt to take flight when approached.
When irritated it did not call out, but did make an attempt to stand only to fall over.
All 4 legs appeared not to be able to hold its weight.
Calf seemed lethargic.
Legs showed no signs of contracted tendons or tendinitis or stiffness.
No signs of injury,
Eyes not dilated and clear.

Breed: Char B Anus cross - Heifer
All vitals were normal.
Weight 47 lbs
AI calf

Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 3 PM
Calf was found approx 20 ft from previous location and mother no where around.
Exam revealed condition had not changed.
No sign of dehydration.
Calf sucked finger, but reluctantly and with little force.
Managed to get ½ a qt of colostrum down it by bottle.

Advised I did not think the calf would make it.
Did not recommend dispatching it, as it did not appear to be in pain.
Calf was removed to barn where it will be raises as a bottle baby or expires.

Knowing the herd history, I suspected passive PEM.
SL

frostback

So you found the calf Sunday AM and was not sure it ever sucked but didn't try to give it colostrum until the next day, which is way to long and would never do any good. They didn't put the cow and calf in a smaller area where they could be watched closer to know if it got up and nursed?  I would say this calf might be suffering from PPM more then PEM.

vc

I read the last example you posted on sulfur toxic poisoning, the farmer mixed his own feed without using distillers grain and actually over dosed his own cattle by adding to much sulfur to the mix. How does this help back your claims involving distillers grain?

and cowman 52 I believe he is suspected of being NC Liz 2 on CT forums

Sir Loin

Frostback,

I'm sorry, I didn't tell the whole story.
On Sun, the calf was seen in the pasture lying down with it's momma. They thought all was fine.
Even with the calf not being able to stand, as that is normal for a new born for awhile.

It wasn't until Monday they suspected something was wrong, as she hadn’t moved and momma was gone and I was called.

On Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 10:30 AM the calf made no attempt to suck.
At that time it was felt it was better to leave the calf, in hopes momma would return or he would call for her, and hunger may be the inspiration to help the calf stand.
The momma was never identified as she is in a herd of 100.

At 3 PM that day it was decided momma had abandoned her calf and the calf was given colostrum.

I do not see that this time frame ( approx 34 hrs ) from birth to colostrum is excessive.
I have seen calves go 4 -5 days without colostrum, because momma's milk didn't come down, and they did just fine. Although it is always better if they receive it within the first 24 hrs.

Sorry, but I don't put all the know info in my file.
SL

Sir Loin

NEWS FLASH: 5 children in CA down with polio like symptoms.

ABC news has just reported that 5 children in Cal, have been stricken with polio like symptoms, although they had been vaccinated.
CDC is now investigating.
More at 11 PM EST
Pawn

frostback

Sunday morning the calf cant stand and you think that is normal? Just a FYI a calf needs colostrum 4 to 6 hours max after birth not 24. I still say its Piss Poor Management more then PEM, and your conspiracy theory's.

Sassy2899

calves that are slow to nurse, greater than or equal to 4 hours, after birth should should be considered at risk for death, disease and impaired productivity (failure of passive transport; FPT).  Calves should consume 5-6% of their body weight in colostrum within the first 12 hours after birth and consume another 5-6% of colostrum another 12 hours after the first consumption.  Intestinal porosity to immunoglobulins ends shortly after birth.  At risk calves should be fed natural or commercial colostrum ONLY during  the first 12 hours of life.  if this time is longer the calf can be exposed to diseases like scours that can kill him as he wont have the antibodies from the colostrum to help protect him.  I am going to say take the calf to the vet if you haven't already.  They are the experts, I know a lot of people on here are experienced with all sorts of stuff. BUT you can't really tell what is wrong with an animal until you look at it in person.

Sir Loin

Just a suggestion, but if you have cattle with red saddle, sell them or buy a backhoe.
Because that is what I see coming next!

SL

Sir Loin

Update!
SUNDAY, Feb. 23, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- A rare "polio-like syndrome" has caused paralysis in about 20 children from across California, according to a report released Sunday by physicians in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The children, who are between the ages of 3 and 12, developed what is called acute, or sudden, flaccid paralysis -- weakness or loss of muscle tone resulting from injury or disease of the nerves that stimulate muscles to move.

Although polio has been wiped out across most of the globe, other viruses can injure the spine, causing paralysis, said Dr. Keith Van Haren, author of the case report and a pediatric neurologist at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, at Stanford University. The children who have been affected seem to have been permanently paralyzed, he said.

Van Haren said these cases suggest there is a possibility of a new infectious polio-like syndrome in California.
The illness is not polio. All the victims had been immunized against polio and tested negative for the presence of the disease, Van Haren explained. And the disease is rare. "It's not an epidemic," he said. "But it is something that is concerning."

The culprit could be a virus strain called enterovirus-68 that has been linked to polio-like outbreaks in children in Asia and Australia, Van Haren said. But not all of the victims tested positive for that virus, so the cause of the disease is still unclear.

Some of the children had respiratory or other illnesses before developing muscle paralysis, but for others muscle weakness was the first symptom.

Van Haren said some victims suddenly developed weakness of one or more limbs within about 48 hours of becoming sick. MRI scans showed worrisome changes in the gray matter of the spinal cord.

To help them more effectively fight the disease, the children were given steroids, intravenous immunoglobulin and or blood plasma exchange -- without improvement, according to the authors of the case report.

How was the mysterious illness discovered? Van Haren said that after he cared for four of five of the first cases that appeared in 2012, he realized the children's illnesses and resulting paralysis were highly unusual. He notified the California Department of Public Health, which has helped monitor the outbreak since.

Van Haren and his team reviewed all five polio-like cases among children whose lab samples had been referred to California's Neurologic and Surveillance Testing Program from August 2012 to July 2013. He has now included the data from about 15 additional cases reported since then, which he'll be presenting at the American Academy of Neurology annual meeting, held April 26 to May 3 in Philadelphia.

Flaccid paralysis -- unlike measles or pediatric flu deaths, for example -- is not considered a disease or condition that must be reported to county or state health departments or national agencies like the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Because there is no reporting requirement, the scope of the problem is still hard to assess, explained Dr. Carol Glaser, chief of encephalitis and the special investigations section in the California Department of Public Health. "We do not know whether these cases represent an increase in cases over what usually occurs or even if cases are an ongoing or isolated occurrence," she said.

Glaser also pointed out that the California Department of Public Health has not yet identified a common cause for the cases. "At this stage, CDPH has asked health care providers to report any polio-like cases they might identify and send specimens so that we can better assess the situation," she said.

On a national level, the CDC also cannot know for sure whether there are more cases of this polio-like syndrome than they have heard about, or to what event the illness may be appearing in other states. "It's hard to know if five or 20 cases in the course of a year or two are significant," said Jason McDonald, CDC spokesperson. "Acute flaccid paralysis can be the result of a variety of viral and non-viral causes."

Parents who notice a sudden onset of weakness in their children should see their pediatrician right away, Van Haren advised. Physicians in the state should notify the California Department of Public Health any time they see a child with acute flaccid paralysis that is not due to diseases that affect the nervous system, such as botulism or Guillain-Barre syndrome, he added.

For her part, Glaser emphasized that only a very small number of cases have been identified, with no clear common cause. "Health care providers have been asked to send information about similar cases so that we can determine whether or not there is anything unusual about these cases," she said.

Because this case review has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, the data and conclusions should be viewed as preliminary, CDC's McDonald cautioned.

More information

Learn more about non-polio enteroviruses from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/health/top ... bs916Jd.99

FriedgesCharolais

Honestly this sounds more like piss poor management than anything else to me! How you see the cow laying with the calf but then can't identify the cow in a herd of 100 head!? Please explain to me why these people have cattle if they cannot manage them properly?

DakotaCow

First clue is the calf weighs in at 47 lbs. My first thought would be premature. Also having as you say 100 cows does not automatically qualify you from getting an ID on the cow. That is complete BS in the first degree. SL by saying that you have seen calves go 4 days without colostrum and be just fine completely discredits everything you have said in all posts, at least it does for me.  Maybe you should look up a Dr Hermish from nebraska and ask a few basic questions about IGGs. Clearly you havent been as well versed a stockmen as you claim to be.

Sir Loin

You people obviously know little about a cow/calf operation.
FYI, a calf is born with enough passive immunity and nourishment to last him for over a week.

First clue is the calf weighs in at 47 lbs. My first thought would be premature
I agree!
Also having as you say 100 cows does not automatically qualify you from getting an ID on the cow.
Not “automatically “ no.
But when you have 100 cows on 400ac, and over have the cows have calves, and momma won't come to her calf and has in all appearances abandoned it, you tell me how you would identify her.

May be you should work on a cow/calf operation for a few years before you try tell those who have done all their life, how to do it!

Did you read this? I predicted that was coming 5 years ago!!
NEWS FLASH: 5 children in CA down with polio like symptoms.

SL

FriedgesCharolais

I have grown up on a cow/calf operation and we run about 100 cows. I moved to a farm 4 years ago on my father in laws property he also has about 100 cows and I could tell you every cow that is in our pasture. Even the ones who have lost their tags I can still identify them so I do have a pretty good idea and if you can't go through the cow herd and recognize a cow that calves two days prior, I'm sorry your in the wrong business because that's some pretty basic stuff in my opinion

firesweepranch

Sir Loin said:
Just a suggestion, but if you have cattle with red saddle, sell them or buy a backhoe.
Because that is what I see coming next!

SL

Gee, I guess I am just a goner than! Most of my Simmental cattle have a red saddle.... poor me!

Sir Loin

FDA threaten organic farmer

HUSTONTOWN, Pa. — Jim Crawford was rushing to load crates of freshly picked organic tomatoes onto trucks heading for an urban farmers market when he noticed the federal agent.

A tense conversation followed as the visitor to his farm — an inspector from the Food and Drug Administration — warned him that some organic-growing techniques he had honed over four decades could soon be outlawed.
"This is my badge. These are the fines. This is what is hanging over your head, and we want you to know that," Crawford says the official told him.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/....story#ixzz2u76NAk1d