Sullivan's Black Velvet dye

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

Our heifer and little bull has a brown tinge to there black hair so on the suggestion from 2 judges, were going to attempt to dye the hair blacker.  The only fault 3 judges has had on our heifer is that she isn't as "pretty of a picture" as they would like.  I'm hoping getting a consistant hair coat color will make the "picture" a little prettier.  Has any of you used Sullivan's new black velvet dye?  I ordered it with a fogger, and now my husband has me second guessing myself.  Young Color isn't in the new catalog so I assumed they discountinued it.  What inputs do any of you have?  thanks!  I just want them looking there best for Jr. Nationals.

Oh yeah, about how long is this dye good for?

BCCC

You can get the Young Color atsally sform what i have heard, I am going to check next time i have to buy conditioner but I think the 10 gallons I picked up last time will last for a while, It sgood for little over a week, If I remember right

showsteer09

I love Young Color II I have never got the Black Velvet thot it was to much money and i think young color works just as good.... I have dyed alot of cattle with young color O0 O0

minimoo38

do NOT use the fogger!! it will make a huge mess. only use it if you are in a very ell ventilated area. we use the young color from sally's. we mix it 1/2 dye and 1/2 sheen, so it doesn't burn the skin as much, but it doesn't dilute it either. ours is applied via a spray bottle. spray, comb, comb, comb. spray, comb, comb, comb. spray, comb, comb, comb. and so on. the dye sits for 1/2-1 hour, and it lasts for quite a while.

Jill

We use a fogger and the Black Velvet straight,  just enough sheen to rinse the bottles out, takes half the time as the spray bottle, just wear rubber gloves and clothes you don't care if they get ruined, once you get it on the calf we brush ours in.  We let ours sit for 30-40 minutes and then rinse until it comes out clear.  The color will last for around a week, sometimes a little more depending on the hair texture.

cowz

I prefer young color and I think you can still get it from Sullivans if you ask for it.  I have used Black Velvet.....have used a whole case.

I think that the young color is gentler, as you can let it set for a very long time before rinsing.  On the other hand,  do NOT leave the black velvet on for more than an hour, or it will burn and blister.

Do use a fogger, just know it will be stained forever.  Using a fogger is way, way easier and faster.  Just get them wet and fog in, and comb in and let set.  We do it like Jill, I just add a little warm water.

Good luck, you will love it.

justme

Thanks for the suggestions....its as clear as all this black velvet that showed up yesterday lol.  Guess I'm chicken, if I burn these 2 my husband will have my hide.  I guess I'll just have to get brave.
Thanks!

chambero

The fogger also keeps it from getting it down onto the hide as heavily.  Way back before Young Color, we'd blow on dyes for this very reason because we'd use some that would really blister them.  Fogging is the only way to go in my opinion.

red

bake when I was new to all this I used regular hair color for women. Big mistake, blistered the back real bad. Never again, I'll use the stuff for cattle.
Gidget, if I can do it, you can do it! Just wear plastice gloves & don't us anything like brushes you want to keep nice. sure tell sign of a dye job is stained black hands!!!  :)))

Red

kanshow

If you have an old stay at home chute - do it in that one.    Don't repeat my mistake of not keeping an eye on my 10 year old son..  He popped up on the other side of the heifer and was working the dye in -  with his bare hands.      EZAll adhesive remover and nail polish remover and mostly time will take the dye off of skin. 

Dusty

I think the Black Velvet works well.  Young Color II works well also.  I used to get Young Color from Sally's Beauty Supply.  It was cheaper than Sullivans at the time.

BCCC

Valley vet supply also carrys the young color and the black velvet, and VERY resaonable on prices and shipping,  The carry sullivans stuff and its the same or cheaper most the time, and they charge MUCH MUCH less for shipping, I ordered some things today from V V and shipping was free and I called sulivans to see how much shipping would be for the exact same thing and it would have costed  50 dollars to have it shiped to me :-\

afhm

Black velvet is much better than Sullivan's last attempt at making dye, but it still is nor match for young color 2.  It seems to burn them quicker, not get them as black and washes out to fast for me.  I have use the different brands of people hair color from walmart before in a pinch and it works pretty good for me.  I never follow the times on the boxes.  I just watch the animal to see if they are squirming like its burning them or wait until it dries before I wash it out.

Latest posts