Sullivans Lite Aid ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

We need to pull some weight off of my daughters steer for the final weigh-in and was wondering if anyone has used Sullivan's Lite Aid? We need to pull as much weight as possiable off. We weigh-in a week before we check in to the fair what is a safe and fast weigh to pull weight off and then get it back on for the fair? Her steer weighs over 1400lbs and needs to be 1300 something to stand a chance. Thank you!

ShowmanQ

When is your weigh in?
We go about 2-3 weeks out with a big one and substiute about 75% of their feed with beet pullp. Also if you have him on free choice water, you can cut that off and water 2 or 3 times a day. I would give him a small drink the night beofre the weigh in ( no feed) and nothing the morning of the weigh in. Just make sure you get him back on track after the weigh in.
Not saying this is a sure fire thing, just some tricks we have used in the past.

SKF

ShowmanQ said:
When is your weigh in?
We go about 2-3 weeks out with a big one and substiute about 75% of their feed with beet pullp. Also if you have him on free choice water, you can cut that off and water 2 or 3 times a day. I would give him a small drink the night beofre the weigh in ( no feed) and nothing the morning of the weigh in. Just make sure you get him back on track after the weigh in.
Not saying this is a sure fire thing, just some tricks we have used in the past.

Our weigh-in is Jan. 31 and we check-in to the fair Feb. 6th. I did not even think about beet pullp, good idea. How much weigh are you usually able to pull off?

ShowmanQ

SKF said:
ShowmanQ said:
When is your weigh in?

Our weigh-in is Jan. 31 and we check-in to the fair Feb. 6th. I did not even think about beet pullp, good idea. How much weigh are you usually able to pull off?

That pretty much depends on how early you start working on it. We have pulled 50 lbs off in a few days. Most of this is water weight. We really hate doing it, because some cattle do pretty good being bucket watered very little, but some just seem to melt and are hard to get back on track.

Dusty

Pull off water for 60 hours before you weigh in.  Let him eat some grass hay and a little bit of grain to keep a little something in his belly.  After you weigh in bring him back slow!  Give him water a gallon or two at a time every couple three hours.  Let him rehydrate slowly or else you could screw him up. It will take about 3 days to get him back on full feed and water again.   Forewarning he will be pissed and hard to handle at weigh ins because of the obvious reasons..  This should pull 100lbs off pretty easy.  Or you could tie him up 36 hours before and give him a shot.  That works too if its not a terminal show...

showgirl

We drop weight fast by feeding more beet pulp and more hay..to keep them full and then say for you feed 1/4 ration feed 27th morning/night and 5 gallons of water all day and then the 28th feed 1/4 feed and little hay(morning) and 5 gallons of water all day dont feed at night and then the 29th dont feed or give  ANY feed or water..An you should be able to take off 50-100lbs we have strict weight restrictions and we were able 2 take off 100lbs on a cool weekend..The reason I say give water the day b4 is b/c I dont know how hot/cold it is where you live..If its cool outside then you can hold water for the 28-29th..Then make sure you slowly bring them back on feed an water..

Dusty said:
Pull off water for 60 hours before you weigh in.  Let him eat some grass hay and a little bit of grain to keep a little something in his belly.  After you weigh in bring him back slow!  Give him water a gallon or two at a time every couple three hours.  Let him rehydrate slowly or else you could screw him up. It will take about 3 days to get him back on full feed and water again.   Forewarning he will be pissed and hard to handle at weigh ins because of the obvious reasons..  This should pull 100lbs off pretty easy.  Or you could tie him up 36 hours before and give him a shot.  That works too if its not a terminal show...

Latest posts