Summer Sports

Help Support Steer Planet:

austin

What are your favorite summer sports/athletic activities? To add further, what do you do to stay in shape?

baseball? softball? soccer? frisbee? mountain biking? running? golf? weight training? swimming? pilates?

I personally love attending baseball games in the summer, but don't get a lot of time to do it. To stay in shape, I've been doing some weight training.

You?

frostback

Weight training and aerobics all in one. 125, 60lbs bales of hay on a trailer, loaded first then unloaded and stacked. I do this all year or until the hay barn is empty. If I am lucky hubby may help once in a while. I dont get lucky much. Also halter breaking calves in the fall by myself gives you a good workout.

red

I'm like Frostback. Breaking calves give you are full work out. You get areobics, weight lifting & great cardio! I also do a lot of yard work when it's not too hot. Carrying buckets & hoeing great for all the body parts. Now if I could just figure out how to cope w/ the pulled muscles I'd be happy!

Red

sawboss

Try picking and loading watermelons in the Texas heat!  Yesterday's haul was 600 50-60lbs. Jubilee, Big Stripe, 710 Hybrid and West Texas White.  Great workout, but the boys get grumpy about lunch time.  I simply remind them of all the money they make to pay for show animals, also they taste better than hay!

farmboy

BASEBALL PRACTICEAT NIGHT AND FARM IN THE DAY. STUBBORN CALVES THAT NEED WALKED AND A BIG STUBBORN ONE :) LIFTING FEED SACKS ON FEED DAY AND GENERAL STUFF

austin

sawboss said:
Try picking and loading watermelons in the Texas heat!  Yesterday's haul was 600 50-60lbs. Jubilee, Big Stripe, 710 Hybrid and West Texas White.  Great workout, but the boys get grumpy about lunch time.  I simply remind them of all the money they make to pay for show animals, also they taste better than hay!

Sounds like one heck of a workout. Drink lots of water!

austin

farmboy said:
BASEBALL PRACTICEAT NIGHT AND FARM IN THE DAY. STUBBORN CALVES THAT NEED WALKED AND A BIG STUBBORN ONE :) LIFTING FEED SACKS ON FEED DAY AND GENERAL STUFF

What position do you play?

shortyjock89

Well, the calves give me a pretty good workout, but I'm trying to get back into shape..I could run for days in grade school, but now I wanna get in shape for college.  I used to be a soccer fiend, and my sister still plays in High School, so we play alot of it in the backyard.  She also runs for conditioning..about 2mi/day..I usually try to run with her..but sometimes I only get one mile in.  I used to play baseball alot..like I would have summer league locally and then I was on a travelling team..I played Center Field and pitched some..they liked that I could throw a curveball with such ease (lefty's are useful sometimes after all! lol).  I don't play that anymore, but it was awesome when I did.  I don't think that harvesting watermelons in the heat of the day would be very much fun..so I'll let sawboss and the boys do it lol!

shortyjock89

farmboy said:
OUR CATCHER IS HORRIBLE, HE CAN'T EVEN THROW TO SECOND ON A LINE HE'S 1/32 ON RUNNERS :mad:

I sure do feel sorry for ya Farmboy..I was always lucky and had a good catcher behind the plate when I was throwing...I remember one summer we had a guy that was 25/27 on getting guys out if they were stealing.  He was a hoss for sure.  He could frame a horrible pitch so well that I once struck out a kid in 4 pitches and all 4 were below his knees...bad day throwing for me, but the catcher had an awesome day. (lol)

austin

farmboy said:
OUR CATCHER IS HORRIBLE, HE CAN'T EVEN THROW TO SECOND ON A LINE HE'S 1/32 ON RUNNERS :mad:

LOL, it's harder than people think. My brother plays catcher also. Guess it runs in the family.

stick

Ah yes, to be young again. I used to be able to do all that stuff. And that was after loading 1000 square bales on a rack by myself in the 120 degree heat, and then stack them myself too, at night. Oh, by the way, I had to walk 5 miles to school uphill in a blizzard and then seven miles uphill back home too.  :D

shortyjock89

stick said:
Ah yes, to be young again. I used to be able to do all that stuff. And that was after loading 1000 square bales on a rack by myself in the 120 degree heat, and then stack them myself too, at night. Oh, by the way, I had to walk 5 miles to school uphill in a blizzard and then seven miles uphill back home too.  :D

And I'm sure that there are forest of fellas like you that could show us whippersnappers a thing or two about hard work....what with all our fancy Atari's and Air Conditioning, not to mention Automatic Transmissions haha  (lol)

shortdawg

Farming gives you great exercise. Loading watermelons in the S. GA heat and humidity will take the juice out of you in a hurry. Curing Tobacco in barns that we run up to 165 degrees is just as good as time in a sauna. When we leave the house this time of year we take out our knife, cut the air so we can get through, and go on about our day. Humidity here is something else. But we do have a nice cool place to wash calves so that's not so bad.