Sun Country Shorthorn Bull Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

In the event you are looking for something to do, I thought I would let the world know that our bull sale catalogue is online now at www.horseshoecreekfarms.com. It will also be posted on uluru's website in the very near future as well, which is www.ulurushorthorns.com

itk

It looks like a great set of bulls. I wish you would have lied and said the Salute son had a BW under 100# then I would feel better about liking him(alot) ;D.

justintime

itk....
maybe I can make you like him by saying that a 105 BW here where I live is probably a BW of 90 to 98 where you live. we had 4 Et calves form this flush by Salute. All were born unassisted and all were extremelty vigorous at birth. The Salute bull you are referring to is, in my opinion, one of the best bulls ever born here. I probably should be keeping him as a herd sire here, but I decided that for our first bull sale, that the best ones had to be offered. I think he is a bull that could be shown as well and be very competitive.

stick

How do you expect us to pick our favorites if they're not clipped and fluffed up? ;D ;D ;D

TPX

I think that the cattle are very well represented. Not over done and just roughed out for there picture I hope that more people in the shorthorns in canada will learn how to present there cattle for a sale and how to take pictures cause lets face some of the pictures in some sales might as well be taken with the animal laying down.  I would recommend to people to hire a photographer or else have a really good camera b/c it makes a world of difference  and it can save a lot of fighting with your significant  other.

garybob

I am leaning toards the "Ranchero" sons, because they are the most uniform "sire group" in the sale. I really like the 100-pounder ( too bad he has a high BW), he is the soggiest, most masculine bull in the entire sale.

GB

justintime

We had a good sale. Total sale average of $3970. Top selling bull was HC Timeline 17T who is an ET calf sired by  SULL GNCC Salute 532R sold for $20,000. His dam is our Shadybrook Presto donor that I have posted a picture on here a few times before.He was purchased by a group of 8 breeders and commercial men who were all looking at him and thought they would not be able to buy him by themselves. Some of them got talking in the pen and decided to join forces and each own a piece rather than nothing. He may be the best bull I have  raised to date.
Bulls sold from northern British Columbia to Missouri. We had good commercial participation with many  of them willing to pay $3000 to $4200 for bulls. We did not seem to have any people waiting to see if they could pick up a bull cheap ... whicih was interesting. All in all, we were pleased with the results for this first sale. It is a great place to build from. Now,if only my cows had given me more bulls. We are still crazy high on heifers . I haven't done a total count lately, but I know for sure that we are still over 80 % heifers.

By the way, I took Major Leroy to the sale and displayed him there. We has been running on a small pasture for several weeks with only hay to eat. I was surprised when we ran him over the scale and he hit 2700 lb. I did not think that was too bad for a moderate framed bull. Length X Width = weight. That air underneath really doesn't weigh very much!

Shorthorn_Junkie

justintime said:
All in all, we were pleased with the results for this first sale. It is a great place to build from. Now,if only my cows had given me more bulls. We are still crazy high on heifers . I haven't done a total count lately, but I know for sure that we are still over 80 % heifers.

Hi JIT,

Glad your sale went well. 

I realize you are wanting more bulls, however a bunch of breeding heifers are also a good thing.  (thumbsup)

justintime

Opps, I just realized that I made a mistake in reporting our sale average. It was $3170 not $3970. It was a good sale... just not as good as I said in my earlier post.

garybob

justintime said:
We had a good sale. Total sale average of $3970. Top selling bull was HC Timeline 17T who is an ET calf sired by  SULL GNCC Salute 532R sold for $20,000. His dam is our Shadybrook Presto donor that I have posted a picture on here a few times before.He was purchased by a group of 8 breeders and commercial men who were all looking at him and thought they would not be able to buy him by themselves. Some of them got talking in the pen and decided to join forces and each own a piece rather than nothing. He may be the best bull I have  raised to date.
Bulls sold from northern British Columbia to Missouri. We had good commercial participation with many  of them willing to pay $3000 to $4200 for bulls. We did not seem to have any people waiting to see if they could pick up a bull cheap ... whicih was interesting. All in all, we were pleased with the results for this first sale. It is a great place to build from. Now,if only my cows had given me more bulls. We are still crazy high on heifers . I haven't done a total count lately, but I know for sure that we are still over 80 % heifers.

By the way, I took Major Leroy to the sale and displayed him there. We has been running on a small pasture for several weeks with only hay to eat. I was surprised when we ran him over the scale and he hit 2700 lb. Imuch did not think that was too bad for a moderate framed bull. Length X Width = weight. That air underneath really doesn't weigh very !
You're starting to sound like Kit Pharo. Not that is entirely a bad thing.

GB