sun seeker and jimmy the greek

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

Sunseekers are hairy, heavy muscled and big boned. they can have some leg issues but you get that with any bull. I have never heard of a sunseeker being pulled, sure its happened though. We had 3 all unassisted, the biggest was probably 95 pounds.

vet tech

a neighboor of mine had a 145 pound sunseeker heifer, good heifer though. Ive never seen a SS under 100 pounds. JtG is average on BW, very good bull

orwell

We have had 4-5 sunseekers now. All unassisted and really good calves. The calves were very hairy, thick and lots of bone. We are taking two of them that were born last year to our county show in about a month and they have turned out great.

VJ

Had one 2 days ago out of a big Strictly Business cow.90 lbs unassisted. Great calf. Hair, bone, solid black, really cool looking. She's never had a calf worth 2 cents until this one.

bs372280

Sun seeker in my opinion is a pretty good bull.  I breed more sunseeker then any other bull, because I started using him and every year I can't complain about any of the calves.  He is a bigger birth weight bull, but I can't remember a calve out of him in the last 3 years that we pulled.  They come out hairy and big boned.  I personally like the bull because you can use him on just about any cow and have a pretty decent calf and I feel he is going to be the next who made who on maternal statues.  His females make real good cows!!

Woody

I love my SS calves.  The Heifers do make good cows too.  My only problem is I havent used him enough.  I dont have any experience with jtg

mandl

the hiefer in my pic is a red and white sun seeker and weve done very well with her this year in the ohio best program, im sold on sunseeker.  her full sib born this year is another heifer and she might just be a tick better then her sister.

chambero

For our herd I used Jimmy the Greek for a year two years ago and then Sunseeker last year (calves are about six months now).  On our cows - its not even close.  Sunseeker calves are infinitely better. 

I used JTG on Chi cross type cows (a little larger framed mommas).  We had one really, really good looking JTG heifer - but she never grew.  She weighed 466 at weaning at about 9 months of age (just on momma and grass).  Had two JTG steers that grew a little better, but they weren't good enough to keep or sell as show calves.

I've got six Sunseeker calves this year.  Two steers are staying in our barn to be showed, another is for sale, one almost but not quite good enough, and the other two are real good heifers - we may show one of them.  I couldn't be happier on him.

farmboy

We bred 4 to SS last year, 3 took. 2 bulls, 1 heifer. the heifer was the best calf until the My Turn hit the ground. The 2 bulls are stout stout stout! One is marked really cool and he's a chunk. The other is extremely long bodied and huge boned, again he's got a big ass and top, he might have a little to much shoulder though. This year I'll probably breed 6 or 7 to Sunny and 3 or 4 to My Turn

mandl said:
the hiefer in my pic is a red and white sun seeker and weve done very well with her this year in the ohio best program, im sold on sunseeker.  her full sib born this year is another heifer and she might just be a tick better then her sister.
What is the breeding on the cow that your heifer is out of.  She looks really nice!  We are definitely going to use SS this year, but wonder which ones to breed to.  Thanks

mandl

she is a hotline cow, shes a big framed cow.  ive been really impressed with sun seeker dont understand what all the haters are all about good bull

So you think he needs bred to larger framed cows?  I have seen quite a few calves that are nice out of him!  Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion! Right? 

bcosu

i don't think i would try to downsize with sunseeker. the big knock i have heard on him is that the calves can get too big. that and maybe they can be a little coarse. which clubby bull doesn't make them coarse sometimes though?

mandl

well see i guess its about who you talk to cause when we were trying to sell another sunseeker calf they said that sunseeker calves peter out and dont finish well.  just a matter of opinion i guess i like him and we're going to keep using him

Steer4Caddy

vet tech said:
a neighboor of mine had a 145 pound sunseeker heifer, good heifer though. Ive never seen a SS under 100 pounds. JtG is average on BW, very good bull
This is unbelievable.  Any calf that is 145 pounds is rediculous.  We should all stop and think of exactly what postition we are getting ourselves into when this happens!

DTW

Calves from 100 to 140 lbs have been going on for years.  Ever since full throttle was used.  I remember pulling alot of those big buggers and more than a few c sections.  Remember weighing alot of them and would take two people to lift them up to the hanging scale.
I dont remember any of the ones back then that came under 100 lbs that ever won anything or turned into a promotional bull. 

I remember distinctly more than one well known person in the industry say if you didnt have to pull him he wasnt going to be stout enough.  Few were born unassisted but the cow had one huge pelvis.