Sun Seeker

Help Support Steer Planet:

sw

Thinking of using Sun Seeker on a few cows, but was wondering what he works the best on and what he will add. And how is everyones calving reports on him. Thanks for any replies

OH Breeder

I am anxiously anticipating my sunseeker out of a meyer cow. The best looking heifer a year ago on the circuit in the Ohio area was a Sunseeker x Meyer. Cows that are clean fronted. If you have a female with a little heavy front end I have seen sunseeker tend to excentuate that a bit. This heifer was a baldy that I saw and she was flat out good. I had the opportunity to buy her for 7 and turned it down. She later went on to sell for 20K. Oh well.
That is my two cents.

Telos

I saw a few Sun Seeker steers the other day and really liked them. They looked more functional in their design then most clubby sired calves. What I noticed, compairing them to a pen of other calves sired by different bulls, is that they had a nice big foot on them. All these Sun Seekers had really good hair especially good leg hair. I liked them a lot and would think the female counterparts might end up making good cows.

chambero

How are the Sunseekers turning out as fat steers?  I don't hear too much about them winning, but that could be just because I haven't heard.  Anyone have experience (even hearsay) about how they grow out?

CAB

They finish out well. I think that the heifers are going to be good cows also. You don't see that often with a "clubbie bull" !!!!

Dusty

Here is a sunseeker cow and her angus calf.  She is milking good and looks like she will make a decent cow.

Attachments

• cow.jpg
    cow.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 470
  • cow2.jpg
    cow2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 441

Dusty

I'm working on it.... I got half the cow bought but I'm trying to acquire the calf too...

Dusty

Just an angus bull, i'm not sure the breeding.  I think they sold him....

Chap

i have not used a bull that adds more hair than Sunseeker.  My best ones are out of him this year.  We flushed a couple of really good cows to him. a Wonder and a Draft Pick.  The SS X Draft Pick calves are all really nice.  Good haired with muscle and very consistant.  The SS x Wonder flush will turn out really well.  My best 2 steers are out of this one and they are really nice, unfortunately, I have a monkey mouthhed leg swinger heifer from that one as well..  I think you must use him on really sound stuctured, square hipped cows with a nice neck. IMO

farmboy

dusty, ur half cow lol reminds me of a heifer i have right now, urs looks a little smaller framed like mine, she is a midget lol and she looks really thick. Do you know if the cow had any trouble having the calf or not. Im debating whether to breed her or not this year.

-ZAch

Telos

P-F said:
Will he add frame to duff/ohlde/cunia type females?

That might be a good match up.

I agree, he seems to consistantly put the hair on. Especially on the legs. I'm most impressed with their foot size, but the ones I saw came from one herd that probably had big footed cows.

OH Breeder

Telos said:
P-F said:
Will he add frame to duff/ohlde/cunia type females?

That might be a good match up.

I agree, he seems to consistantly put the hair on. Especially on the legs. I'm most impressed with their foot size, but the ones I saw came from one herd that probably had big footed cows.
What I tihnk is cool is he is out of a clean up bull. No big names and is really doing well. I like his females more and more.

Chap

Here are some Sunseeker progeny.  black heifer on a sim/angus cow, b&w heifer on a 1/2 maine reflector granddaughter, 2 red bulls are full sib ET calves on a Wonder cow.

Attachments

• 14 SSx9Fb3_edited.jpg
    14 SSx9Fb3_edited.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 15 SSxReflector_edited.jpg
    15 SSxReflector_edited.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 25 SSxWonder_edited.jpg
    25 SSxWonder_edited.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 777 SS x Wonder2_edited.jpg
    777 SS x Wonder2_edited.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 299

KYsteer

I have seen this bull be a real cow changer and do some nice things on certain cows.  My personal experience has not been good though.  I have had a very common narrow chested heifer out of him and a crippled up steer.  One thing they had in common is that they were big boned and a ton of leg hair.  If had an ideal mating for him, I would breed him to a real stylish level hipped angus cow.  I would think he would work on the Northern Improvement type cattle to add some mass and hair, and they will keep him sound and stylish.