Sun Seeker

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

I have a Sun Seeker bred heifer and was wondering who to breed her back with. She has Meyer734 x Angus on the bottom side. She is large, thick and has a  lot of bone.  I am wanting a steer out of her. Keep in mind I need TH neg.

Thank you for any help!

Andrew

Attachments

• 6-22-08.JPG
    6-22-08.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 291

shortyjock89

Gigolo Joe would work well on those bloodlines I would think. I would say Money Man, but I tend to think of him as a bull that will throw better heifer or bull prospects than steers..I might be wrong though.

OH Breeder

I guess with it being a heifer i would shoot for Northern Improvement or Traveler T510. both bulls throw alot of style. Sounds like she has plenty of bone. You willl get a small lively calf that will grow. I love my Northern Improvements. Makes great show calves. I had a really rough calving year this year and wouldn't take any chances with a heifer at all.

BIGTEX

She is a bred heifer now. She is bred to OCC Just Right. I was wanting suggestions on her second calf.

CAB

All of the WMW sires are lined up pretty tight since she's a Sunseeker.  The # 4 calf overall @ the 2nd day of the Ia. Summer Extravaganza was a Northern Improvement sired steer. I like going back to Angus Sires on the clubbier style SSers.

OH Breeder

If you wanted to stay Maine- go with Jazz or pale Face. both will give you a very marketable calf.

clubcalve

I see your points i have used jonny walker red and got some awsome calves i know he does'nt have bone but if the heifer has enough then you should be fine.

justme

I'd try Gigilo Joe or Major's Money Man.  I think you'll be surprised at what Money Man can do bull wise.  If your at Jr. Nationals, check out our Money Man bull calf.  I think he's a dandy!  I used these 2 bulls on my entire herd with the exception of one Mama's boy. 

chambero

Do you have any idea what kind of cow she's out of? 

You've already got Heat Seeker, Who Made Who, and Full Throtle blood in her.  All are great, but all have potential for some structural issues.  I would not use bulls from those bloodlines.

If you want purebred (or at least high%) Maine on her with good chance for a steer, I like the Habanero line (including Lifeline).  In fact, I'd probably use Habanero himself.  Others - Power Plus throws some good steers as does some of the Irish Whiskey sons (especially Paddy O-Malley).  If you go Power Plus or Whiskey, I'd suggest going ahead and getting her PHA/TH tested to make sure you don't have a PHA issue from the cow side.

I'd think about trying a purebred Charolais bull on her if you want a steer.  Schroeders have some, Kris Black does (Hoo Doo Prince and a new bull called George), plus there's lots of others.  Less chance of a problem.

I haven't used the bull myself, but from what I know of Money Man I don't think he's a Texas steer bull.  Would probably be great if you wanted a heifer.

bcosu

she looks really nice! depending on how big she is and how her calf looks when it comes out, i would really think a more maternal bull would kick out a good calf. i've heard of some good hairys and i haven't seen one i dislike. witch doctor makes nice calves too.

RGVSteerJock

That is a GREAT looking Sunseeker heifer, though I prefer them with a little hump. Where I come from, the Brahman influence is King. I'd put on the the V8 bulls on her. They make great momma cows.