Sunseeker Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

We all know sunseeker calves look great in the fall, and then they go through an ugly stage. So now that most of the county and state fairs are done. How did the sunseekers turn out?

ShowStopper

I really like the way that mine turned out. He didn't have the base width that I would've liked to see or the best set of wheels (popped when he walked) but a very pretty boy and a hair little booger!  O0 <party>

The first picture is of him a couple weeks after we brought the calves home.
The second picture is from a show this spring.
The thrid picture is from county fair. (I couldn't find any when he was fit up)

Attachments

• gobblesyoung.jpg
    gobblesyoung.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 742
  • gobbles.jpg
    gobbles.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 742
  • gobblesunfit.jpg
    gobblesunfit.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 748

ShowStopper

Lol trust me...he had his ugly stages, we just never took any pictures of him at those  ;) In the last picture he weighed 1380. There for a while we were really worried that he would go over weight, but thankfully he didn't.

here's a couple more pictures of him not all fit and pertied up.  :D I think these are from March or April...it was before he went in the cooler anyway.

Attachments

• gobblesmarch.jpg
    gobblesmarch.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 698
  • gobblesbehind.jpg
    gobblesbehind.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 710

shortyjock89

Wow, he sure did have that shag on his legs, and I assume everywhere else!  I think I might have to use ol Sunseeker in the next year or two on one or two of my rocket fronted Appendix cows.

BCCC

ShowStopper said:
I really like the way that mine turned out. He didn't have the base width that I would've liked to see or the best set of wheels (popped when he walked) but a very pretty boy and a hair little booger!   O0 <party>

The first picture is of him a couple weeks after we brought the calves home.
The second picture is from a show this spring.
The thrid picture is from county fair. (I couldn't find any when he was fit up)
You would happen to know what his dam's breeding was, or maybe even a picture of her?  He looks great. I had beter get some sunseeker ordered up for this spring!!

ShowStopper

You know, I'm not real sure about the breeding on the dam's side. He did, however, come out of Stacey Kopfman's place in South Dakota. I just emailed Stacey so I will let you know here in the next couple days. ;D

BCCC

ShowStopper said:
You know, I'm not real sure about the breeding on the dam's side. He did, however, come out of Stacey Kopfman's place in South Dakota. I just emailed Stacey so I will let you know here in the next couple days. ;D
Thanks a bunch!

CAB

Sunseeker was born on Bob Sunquist's farm @ Staton,Ia. out of a 1st calf heifer that he bought from Denny Sunderman. She was a Heat Seeker sired heifer. He himself was born unassisted and in general, you don't hear a lot of complaining about large birth weights. He is not recommended on heifers. He is sired by Wilson, ( WMW X Full Throttle). Fred Cambell in Indiana owns the dam of Sun Seeker And also the Dam of Wilson. Miles was listed as the sire of Sun Seeker for a long time, but by DNA testing, Wilson has been declared the sire at 99.9% accuracy. Brent

Bawndoh

I hope the base width isnt a problem on most SS.  That is the one thing I was going to use him for.  Your steer also looks a little small in the lower quarter.  Is this an issue as well?
On the other hand, leg shag, leg shag, leg shag!!  What a fun fitting job your steer would have been!!

ShowStopper

Bawndoh said:
I hope the base width isnt a problem on most SS.  That is the one thing I was going to use him for.  Your steer also looks a little small in the lower quarter.  Is this an issue as well?
On the other hand, leg shag, leg shag, leg shag!!  What a fun fitting job your steer would have been!!

That was not an issue at all. I wish I had a picture of him wet so I could show you. In that last picture he hadn't been clipped in a month-month and a half so the amount of hair on his lower quarter was unbelieveable. He carried it all the way down.

jeffb1

One of our best spring born heifers is a sunseeker. Very hairy, moderate,thick. So far, one of our top fall calves is a sunseeker, out of a full flush cow. We had tried a number of matings on her with decent results, but this sunseeker mating seemed to work for her. I'll try to get some pics of the heifer up for you. JB

justme

I tend to stay away from the clubby lines if possible, but when I was up at Hawkeye a year or so ago, he was one of the best looking bulls up there.  I was truely impressed by him.  If I had to take a bull home out of that barn, not knowing any histories of calves, I'd take him or Alias home just for soundness and thickness.  Really surprised how he held it all together compared to Heatwave adn the others. (cow)

chambero

Did you know Alias broke a leg early in his life?  Someone must have done a great job patching him back together.