Sunseeker or Paddy?

Help Support Steer Planet:

muleman

Need some hair and no throw aways for show steers, cows are meyer influenced. Tried HW and calves are either great or bad, too many on the bottom. Thanks for any imput. Steve

shortyjock89

If your cows have a rocket front, Sunseeker might be the best bull out there.

OH Breeder

I will let you know in a few days. I have a plainer made Meyer that is bred to Sunseeker. I saw several last year. When the cow is cleaner fronted they tend to be a little freak necked. When they are plainer made then they tend to be just that in the front. I have never seen to terrible of a front end on Sunseeker x Meyer. Of course their is always Irish WHiskey if you d'nt mind carriers. Collin's and GCC sell several every year that are outstanding.
Who Made Who is another good choice. Hannibal will add some size and give you a bit more neck. JMO

Jill

Your expectations are not attainable, there isn't anything out there that is going to give you hair and no throw aways, it just doesn't work that way.  I guess I would say that Sunseeker would give you the better chance of a nice steer, you don't see many Paddy's out there in the top end.

CAB

Agree with Jill, there are no bulls that there are no throw aways. Your best chances of attaining no throw aways would be ET- recips, but even then, not possible. If you could get 50%, I would say that you were doing the impossible and I don't know of anyone personally that can get that done. Sunseeker will be way more predictable than Paddy in what I have seen, and should work well on the Simi cross cows. The Sunseeker's in general are looking to have good maternal quality for a clubbie bull.

Okie Boy

Paddy has been OK for average cows for us. They dont have to be rocket front to be OK. We just showed a heifer at OKC two weeks ago that placed mid class of 15 calves. Another local family had a sunseeker this year that was really nice, loads of hair too, but I dont know the cow. They have been in the clubby's for 20 years.