SUNSEEKER

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

I have a few red angus cows that I need to add some width of base, power, and bone to.  I am sure sunseeker can do this.  I also know that he is sloppy fronted (for club calf industry), but I am wondering how his calves are on their feet and legs, and if they travel well.  Also, does anyone know of any daughters pregnant or milking, and how do they look?  Do you think this is a good cross to produce wide based very good quality jackpot or 4-H steers?  How are his calves coming out...bw/bone/shoulder all of coarse come into this equasion.  Basically...give me a FULL report.

cowz

I would definately try him on some red angus based cows, but nothing packing the extra leather up front.  We won our county fair with one.  He was an easy feeder, good attitude and good structure.  We, so far have had good luck with the TH clubby ones on the red angus...usually have a black calves.  You also might consider Cherry Bomb on your red cows if you like the red calves.

ROAD WARRIOR

Bawndoh said:
I have a few red angus cows that I need to add some width of base, power, and bone to.  I am sure sunseeker can do this.  I also know that he is sloppy fronted (for club calf industry), but I am wondering how his calves are on their feet and legs, and if they travel well.  Also, does anyone know of any daughters pregnant or milking, and how do they look?  Do you think this is a good cross to produce wide based very good quality jackpot or 4-H steers?  How are his calves coming out...bw/bone/shoulder all of coarse come into this equasion.  Basically...give me a FULL report.

I think it would depend on the R A females. I have some pretty cool fronted R A females but I have a neighbor that has some that are pretty "chunky" fronted. Match the bull you use to the type of females you have - it doesn't always work but at least you have an educated guess. RW

OH Breeder

I used him on a Meyerx angus cow baldy. i will let you know how it turns out. I saw the same combination a year ago. The heifer was quiet a winner locally in Ohio. I am hoping for a hiefer. We will see.

red

only big issue I've had w/ Cherry Bomb is that the feet aren't placed as nice as I'd like them. They want to toe in a bit.

Red

OhShOwEr

How are the Sunseeker steers looking when they are Fats?  I have seen a lot of them that look pretty good as babies, but do they make it in the long run?

Dusty

I just talked to a friend of mine who's boy showed a sunseeker steer this year.  They butchered him a week ago and they had him graded.  He had a 903# carcass, was High Choice, YG 2 and CAB.  He didn't tell me the ribeye size and I forgot to ask.  I have attached a pic of the steer.  He was about as good as you can get when we talk about combining show cattle w/functionality and "real world" production.

Attachments

• 718.jpg
    718.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 602

Bawndoh

WOW!  Great looking calf.  Thank you for updating this topic.  He looks like a maine/simmy type steer.  Seems to be the type of characteristics Sunseeker throws. 

Chap

I have used Sunseeker for several years now.  I really like the calves, they come pretty easy for the mass they have.  I breed him to square hipped, sound made, clean fronted cows.  He does not seem to downsize or add much frame as the calves seem to mature much like their mothers.  I find they look really great as babies, then go through a growth spurt where they look a little funky, then come back around.  Be careful on structure with him,  He has a tendency to make them in at their knee and can be a little stiff pasterned,  not unlike most other bulls in his class.  I have found very few other bulls that put muscle and hair on a calf with more consistency than Sunseeker.  You can see some of this years crop at http://www.sugarcreekcattle.com/forsale.html

As far as females go, I have 1 1st calf heifer and she is doing a nice job with her Ali bull calf.  She is not a big pevic area animal, but I think will be ok when mature.  She milks well for a 1st calver and is staying in nice shape.  As with any "clubby" bull, I would only keep them if they have the maternal side to indicate they will make an acceptable cow
jmho
Chap

BIGTEX

Bawndoh said:

I have a Sun Seeker heifer out of a Meyer x Angus cross. She walks perfect. Very sound. Plenty of rib. Deep flanked. She is bred to OCC Just Right for a Sept. calf. She is a little on the big side, so I think the angus should downsize a little. I will give you an update on how she milks.

Attachments

• 6-22-08.JPG
    6-22-08.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 402