Survey finds 1 in 3 toys have toxic chemicals

Help Support Steer Planet:

austin

Scary stuff.  :-\ You should check link below before buying toys for the littluns this Christmas!!

AP
Survey finds 1 in 3 toys have toxic chemicals
Wednesday December 3, 6:46 am ET
Group finds significant amounts of lead, arsenic , other chemicals in one-third of kids' toys

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- A new survey finds that about a third of popular toys on sale this holiday season have significant levels of toxic chemicals.

Researchers for the JustGreen Partnership -- a coalition of children's safety, public health and environmental groups -- tested more than 1,500 toys and found one in three contained medium or high levels of chemicals such as lead, cadmium and arsenic.

Lead was detected in 20 percent of the toys, and the group says levels in some far exceed the 600 parts-per-million standard set by the federal government for a recall.

Children's jewelry was the most contaminated product category, with items marketed by Disney and Christmas Tree Shops topping the group's "worst toys" list of products. Products listed under the "best toys" category included Hasbro's Star Wars Comic Packs and Spiderman 3 Venom toys, LEGO's Batman series and Fisher-Price's Go Diego Go items.

A full list of the toys is available online at http://www.HealthyToys.org.

austin

I still can't believe this. It's ridiculous. I'm sending this article to all my relatives and family members.

JbarL

knabe said:
imagine if they analyzed dirt.

alot of the homes here on the golf courses have there screened in  pools and porches....just 5  feet or so off  the fairways and greens....there spray ferterlier& weed killer and critter repelant they  use is some pretty hot stuff...i always wonder what a 2 in square of some of that screen would contain if you analyzed it ?  jbarpalmer