Survey - Lowlines

Help Support Steer Planet:

dori36

I've created a short survey (just 6 questions) and have emailed it out to my emailing list.  It's regarding the impending decision from the American Lowline Reg. to allow, or not allow, Lowlines that are 25% Lowline to be registered as percentage Lowlines. If anyone who is interested in Lowlines and who isn't on my email list would like to participate in the survey, let me know and I'll send you a copy to complete.  When the results are in, I'll be forwarding it to the ALR to aid them in their decision making process. I'm in no way representing the ALR.  I have done this independently to try to make it easy to express your opinion.

TJ

That is a good thing that your doing with that poll, Dori!  The more input the board gets & the more sides of the story that people hear, the better, IMHO.  2 heads are always better than 1, especially when my own head would be all alone without the other one.  ;)   

TJ

I went to see how it was turning out & it wouldn't let me back in. 

dori36

TJ said:

It's set up to only allow each voter access one time.  That's to prevent the passionate, on either side, from going in and vote multiple times for their side!  :eek:  When I close the poll, I'll be emailing results to everyone on my list.  I'm going out of my way to keep it honest and to not influence anyone's voting to accurately measure the sentiment on the issue.

aj

I think its great that the lowlines are at our beckoning as a source of germplasm. Someday if not now the industry will need these cattle. This recession deal I think is going to get bad. I like smaller cattle. IMO we need to down size cows and lower BWT's. I think we need to have all kinds of cattle on hand as a genetic resource.

TJ

dori36 said:
TJ said:

It's set up to only allow each voter access one time.  That's to prevent the passionate, on either side, from going in and vote multiple times for their side!   :eek:  When I close the poll, I'll be emailing results to everyone on my list.  I'm going out of my way to keep it honest and to not influence anyone's voting to accurately measure the sentiment on the issue.

I understand & I applaud that decision.  Most polls only let you vote once, but they will let you see the results anytime after you vote.  However, if that's not possible with this poll, I totally understand.  I can wait.  Besides, all steps need taken to make sure that it's accurate or it's totally useless! 

I also applaud your multiple choice format!  A few in our area said that they were against it originally ONLY because they thought that we were going to be wanting to show them against 1/2 bloods & higher percentages in the breeding shows & that simply wont be the case, as I understand it.  Your poll allows people to vote exactly how they feel, rather then simply asking "are you for or against", with no additional options. 

I'm going to submit a list of names when I give the ALR the results of the eastern poll.  IMHO, that's the only honest way to do it.  I'm glad that your poll is a 1 vote deal too! 

On a related note, I may be making some people mad with my outspokenness on this issue, but I am not at all mad at the others (plural) who have been VERY outspoken on the other side of the issue.  I am simply debating the issues, the only way that I know how.  I didn't start the debates & I was late in going proactive, but since all that stuff was going on, I felt like it was my duty & my obligation to share my 2 cents.  Like I suspected, this end of the US is VERY united, so that makes it even more important for me to speak out.  With that said, the last thing that we need in this breed is a civil war & hurt feelings that will not mend.  Regardless of how all this turns out, I hope that we can all put this behind us & focus on our common ground.  If we can't, the breed will suffer.     

dori36

<<I understand & I applaud that decision.  Most polls only let you vote once, but they will let you see the results anytime after you vote.  However, if that's not possible with this poll, I totally understand.  I can wait.  Besides, all steps need taken to make sure that it's accurate or it's totally useless! >>

You could have, and maybe you did, clicked for the current results right when you voted but no one can go back in later to see results.  I'll be emailing the results in the graph format to the ALR, and comments that people chose to make.  I won't include the names of the voters, however, as I think I get more responses from a broad segment if the voters feel their votes are anonymous.  The ones who want to have their identity known can contact one of the Directors.  Thanks for voting!

TJ

dori36 said:
You could have, and maybe you did, clicked for the current results right when you voted but no one can go back in later to see results.  I'll be emailing the results in the graph format to the ALR, and comments that people chose to make.  I won't include the names of the voters, however, as I think I get more responses from a broad segment if the voters feel their votes are anonymous.  The ones who want to have their identity known can contact one of the Directors.  Thanks for voting!

I did that after I voted.  It said the results would not be available until later.  It showed all zero's & hadn't even counted my vote.  That's why I went back to check it several hours later.  I was curious, but I can wait. 

It would be impossible (or should I say very difficult) to include all the names with your internet poll.  I totally understand that & I think that is perfectly fine.  I only mentioned what I was doing because I didn't want anybody thinking that I am making up the poll results that I am taking... I want mine to be public record.  I wasn't trying to imply at all that you should be doing that.  You are also correct that people can contact the ALR Board directly.   I had a Director ask me to conduct a poll in the eastern US, plus 2 members of the Northwest Association requested that I conduct a poll in the eastern US & that's the only reason why I am doing what I am doing.  I think that your poll is great & I don't at all want to imply otherwise!!         

1 more thing, I don't even know where you stand on this issue, and it really doesn't matter.  Regardless of where you stand, I think that you are a huge asset for the Lowline breed! 

Reinken Cattle Co.

Thanks for taking the time to make this survey Dori! It is a very important issue and I was not at all surprised to see how it is turning out at this point.

Matt