swinging tail

Help Support Steer Planet:

chiangus

Yeah if is not swinging at flies then they just need to calm down.  Have you worked with calf quite a bit?

CBowlin

steerjock07 said:
Anybody have any tricks for getting a calf to quit swinging their tail?

i recommend working with the calf more often  <rock> <beer> (lol)

PDJ

In my experience, some calves never get over this.  I don't think it is as bad as it was 30 years ago when we tied them up so high you could sometimes break a tail. ::)  Back then we actually would deaden the tail with lidocaine (I think).  Doubt it would be acceptable to do this today.

simba

I had this problem with my heifer. I just used a piece of twine to tie her tail to her leg when I was working with her and untied it when I wasn't. After a while she got the idea. It's kinda non traditional, but it works.

DiamondMCattle

If you are desperate to get them to quit before a show put a (tail tie) cable tie around there tail for about half an hour and cut it off before you go in the ring.

chiangus

DiamondMCattle said:
If you are desperate to get them to quit before a show put a (tail tie) cable tie around there tail for about half an hour and cut it off before you go in the ring.

Yep, but can't took it too long as if to tight you are cutting off circulation

mick rems

i got one that does that too but its not when shes in the showring. its always on the washrack everytime. everyday. and she gets worked a lot. for her i think its just her personality. or its a genetic personality, her ma did it too always. i think im gonna try that balertwine thing tho.