Switching feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Nubz

I have two fair steers that are between 650-750 and our fair is first week in August. I was feeding them a 16% protein mix with 50 pounds a day for the 2 of them. I now switched to AAOK mix. and now feed like 70 pounds a day. My question is protein, should I add some or keep going this way? Thank You

Spencer10218

First off it would be helpful to know roughly how much weight they put on per day

Second, 70 pounds between 2 steers that are under 1000 pounds is a lot of feed in my opinion and if your still having questions about how they are putting on the weight and where they are putting it at 17.5 pounds per feeding then you need to focus on feed efficiency
The way you are feeding them right now at 750 pounds you are feeding 4.65% of there body weight daily
Jmo I may be wrong, just something to think about

CAB

You can have the feed analyzed and go from there, but it has been my experience that the ration is maybe a little short on protein. Have a beef nutritionist look at it and then tweak it. That ration does have enough roughage in it that a person would not have / need to feed any hay with it if you didn't want to making it very possible to eat those kinds of volumes IMO. I personally would aim for 13 / 14% protein levels.

ploughshare

Based on the info they will need to gain 1300 - 700 = 600 lbs in 135 days.  Roughly over 4 lbs per day which is a pretty hefty goal. You will need to push the feed, but I worry about too much energy and upset rumens.  As they age you will need to increase energy and decrease protein to get them finished.  AAOK's diet is very good and will add dimension without having the calves go off feed.  As the show date approaches consider adding more energy, stabilized rice bran, potatoes, etc. and a buffer to their diet if they seem too green. If they go off feed, get them going again by top dressing brewers malt.