Tagging Recips

Help Support Steer Planet:

CJB

When implanting embryos, do you always tag the recips with information pertaining to the mating?  If so, what kind of information do you put on the tag? 

Most of the embroys going in will be one mating, but I am curious as to what others do in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

LN

Our recips had individual IDs and we recorded the info in a spreadsheet and used that to ID embryo calves.

kanshow

Our recips keep their individual ID tag in one ear and that is recorded on the transfer sheet. 

justintime

Our recips all have individual herd tags already, so we, like Kanshow, use these on the transfer sheets. I know them all by their herd tags, so it is easier for me to remember them than a new tag and tag number

CJB

LN said:
Our recips had individual IDs and we recorded the info in a spreadsheet and used that to ID embryo calves.
kanshow said:
Our recips keep their individual ID tag in one ear and that is recorded on the transfer sheet. 
justintime said:
Our recips all have individual herd tags already, so we, like Kanshow, use these on the transfer sheets. I know them all by their herd tags, so it is easier for me to remember them than a new tag and tag number

That's what I was wanting to hear.  All of these cows already have in herd tags that I know them by.  I have seen many recips with the mating and due date on seperate tags in recips, and I just didn't want to have to do this if it wasn't necessary.  Looks like I'll be doing the individual herd tags on the transfer sheets as well, and then recording everything into a spreadsheet.

jbw

my cows are freeze branded with their ID number, just in case they lose the tag I know who they are.

Jill

We do the same, we use in herd recips so they already have the herd tag and then we put new tags in the other ear each time an embryo is put in.  When the calves are born they will get a tag that not only has the recip number, but the sire and dam mating info.  I know there are people out there that don't tag the recips with embryo info, but to me it would make it really difficult to remember, much easier to just look at the tag, we put them in when they are in the chute, not really any extra work involved.

herf96

The only problem with using the tag that is in the ear and using it as the only source is if she loses it.  So maybe you know all the cows well enough that you could remember each of them.  If several in 100 lose their tag good luck.  What we do is tag them again with the information.  SireXDonor, Date Due, the recips number on front and back that way if they lose that tag you will know which one it belongs too.  Not likely that you will lose the tags, it just can happen.  We also record all data into a spreadsheet.  If you only have a handful of cows this probably over the top. 

Jill

I guess I should have also stated, we have EVERYTHING on a spreadsheet, the shot schedules, the dates and times of heats, date and time embryo's implanted, embryo matings and due dates.

kanshow

That's also why the transfer sheet has the cow's herd ID number on it too.      Our cows are number branded and ID tagged in both ears.  When we use one for a recip, we cut the tag out of one ear to put the recip info in.    Our cow spreadsheets have a description of the cow as well.    Hubby wants to attach a picture of each cow to that.