Tail swishing

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

We are starting to get into high gear on our steers for this Summer's county fair. We have one steer who constantly swishes his tail, We get soaked while rinsing him and when we are brushing and combing his hair, his tail is rubbing all the hair back down. Is there something we can do to help contoll this or do we just learn to live with it?

DLZ

shortyjock89

Put a zip tie half way up his tail.  either paint for desired color, or put under some hair on his tail.

NHR

I will have to try that one. Our heifers are always swishing their tales but we see other heifers that never move their tales. I was always trying to figure that out.

shortyjock89

It works pretty good, just be sure not to get it too tight, otherwise the calf will have a half tail like some dairy cows  (lol) 

I haven't used the ties in a few years, but I will have to use them again this year because my sister's heifers will NOT stop swinging their tails.

ATOZ

This is off the subject but why do some put a zip tie on the halter on the back of the halter between the ears??

the_resa86

ATOZ said:
This is off the subject but why do some put a zip tie on the halter on the back of the halter between the ears??

Our halters have zip ties on them because we get them in Louisville. At the North American after our health papers have been checked they give us zip ties to put on the halters.  That way when cattle come into the barn they can see easily if they have been through the health check-in.  We just forget to cut them off a lot of the time so they are on most of our halters now.

red

the_resa86 said:
ATOZ said:

Our halters have zip ties on them because we get them in Louisville. At the North American after our health papers have been checked they give us zip ties to put on the halters.  That way when cattle come into the barn they can see easily if they have been through the health check-in.  We just forget to cut them off a lot of the time so they are on most of our halters now.

(lol) I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!!!!

Red  (clapping)

Bawndoh

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Put a zip tie half way up his tail.  either paint for desired color, or put under some hair on his tail.

I have had my share of calves that had this issue.  I saw the zip tie used on others so I gave it a shot.  It did not work.  It may have even made it worse.  Does the exact placement of the tie matter?  Are there any other solutions out there because I always have this problem.

shortyjock89

Well, I don't know that EXACT placement matters, but I've seen rubber bands work too, but you REALLY have to make sure they're not too tight...plus they're way harder to get on.  Some calves are going to swish their tails no matter what.