Tailhead

Help Support Steer Planet:

rmbcows

Here is a pic of a March heifer I have.  She's been in heat twice already that I know of.  My question is if she could be cystic already?  I love her except for the high tail head. I know donors tend to get high tail heads, just wonder if that could be a sign, along with her early heats, of being cystic.  Anyone have any thoughts? 

Attachments

• Eye Candy.JPG
    Eye Candy.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 492

RyanChandler

I have march heifers cycling as well. This is a good thing and is no indicator of being cystic. Neither is that tailhead. That tailhead is a structural issue resulting from an upward sloping pelvis.  Many times this will result in a pelvic area that is taller than it is wide.  Dystocia is the primary concern with this design. 

rmbcows

Well now that's not what I wanted to hear, lol.  Oh well, guess my hopes that a shot of GnRH would get her straightened out.  Thanks for help XBAR!

Moezmom

XBAR, please forgive my ignorance but I'm guessing that means a potential for more difficult births?

RyanChandler

Yes, thats exactly what that means. Oddly enough, many show oriented bloodline will select for this trait - because when fitted, that big prominent tailhead helps accentuate the swooping top line that's desired in the show ring.

rmbcows

I agree that we always pull the hair up into that "fin".  But don't you think she's a bit too extreme to show?  I can't say I've ever seen all the hair clipped off the top of the tail head to blend it in, but maybe I've never looked that close.

frostback

If I raised that heifer I would be plenty happy and proud. BUT if I was shopping for one that tail head set would make me think twice about buying her.

rackranch

I've always been of the opposite mind set.  I always thought that breeding the high tail set out of them was a bad thing for cows.  I see it actually making the birthing process easier than one tucked down and level.  I haven't seen studies that indicate it narrows the pelvic cavity though.  I'll have to do some research now.  Got me thinking know.

I like your heifer...

-XBAR- said:
I have march heifers cycling as well. This is a good thing and is no indicator of being cystic. Neither is that tailhead. That tailhead is a structural issue resulting from an upward sloping pelvis.  Many times this will result in a pelvic area that is taller than it is wide.  Dystocia is the primary concern with this design.

RyanChandler

rackranch said:
I've always been of the opposite mind set.  I always thought that breeding the high tail set out of them was a bad thing for cows.  I see it actually making the birthing process easier than one tucked down and level.  I haven't seen studies that indicate it narrows the pelvic cavity though.  I'll have to do some research now.  Got me thinking know.

I like your heifer...

-XBAR- said:

No way.  The tailhead sitting like that is a result of the pelvic being upward sloping.  Naturally, and most conducive for calving, the hip set will slope downward from hook to pins.  You will never see a baboon tail like on cattle that have the proper slope.

Visualize the birthing process.  The calf will 'unravel' counter clockwise.  The lower the pins, the easier the transition is through the birthing canal. This is why when pulling a calf (normal presentation), you pull downwards as much if not more so than out. 

caledon101

My understanding is that tail should not be set in too deeply. It acts and works more effectively for what it was designed for if it sits up somewhat. It's a fly swatter.
Perhaps extremes of either setting is not good.

RyanChandler

You're right, extremes of both are bad.  You want the tail LEVEL with the spine.  Not elevated above the spine but also not so low that it sets between the pins. 

Here's examples of ideal.

Attachments

• Perfect.jpg
    Perfect.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 429
  • perfect2.jpg
    perfect2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 346

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Not going to say I'm right just looking at a picture ,but had a ANGUS heifer a couple years ago on my fall sale ,that is on 10-11-13  about same time of year .No one wanted her because of tail head setting to high ,kept working with her and entered her for classic in Feb. the next year ....This heifer commanded a very good price , tail head was not mentioned because she had grew into it ....Showed very well all summer and would probably beat every thing if she had had a little cleaner made front ....

AAOK

-XBAR- said:
Yes, thats exactly what that means. Oddly enough, many show oriented bloodline will select for this trait - because when fitted, that big prominent tailhead helps accentuate the swooping top line that's desired in the show ring.

Unless Jim Williams is Judging Heifers.  He want to see a slight downward slope from hooks to pins.  BTW: I'm not trying to highjack this thread; merely pointing out an opinion.

RyanChandler

AAOK said:
-XBAR- said:

Unless Jim Williams is Judging Heifers.  He want to see a slight downward slope from hooks to pins.  BTW: I'm not trying to highjack this thread; merely pointing out an opinion.

Good to hear some judges still applying a selection protocol based on functional beef cattle characteristics.  Harlan Ritchie would be proud. 

rmbcows

Thanks for all the insight and the compliments on the heifer.  I plan on keeping her around so we'll see how she turns out as a cow. 

Anyone have any insight on why donors will often get high tail heads?  Or maybe not everyone's donors do this? 

RyanChandler

rmbcows said:
Thanks for all the insight and the compliments on the heifer.  I plan on keeping her around so we'll see how she turns out as a cow. 

Anyone have any insight on why donors will often get high tail heads?  Or maybe not everyone's donors do this?

You're almost there.  Donors don't 'get' or some how 'acquire' a high tail head.  That look- structural defect- is intentionally selected for in cattle who's primary function (for lack of a better word) is to compete fitted in a show ring.  When clipped, this helps create the illusion of a massive hip that carries a lot of depth.