Taking weight off steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

sawboss

Our county show weigh-in is in one week, our maximum weight is 700 lbs.  My oldest son has a Friction steer weighing 755 lbs.  Would like to hear some ideas on the safest way to take it off.

chambero

I didn't realize very many Texas counties had early weigh-ins.  I'm glad we don't.  That is a very light max weight for this time of year.  I guess it kind of makes it impossible to take major show calves that don't make the sale. We've got a January calf in the barn that would barely make that weight.

50-60 pounds shoudn't be too hard.  Since you've got a week, I'd suggest going to half-feed immediately for a day or two and then go to a scoop or so of beet pulp till weigh in.  Throw in just enough feed (a handful or two) to get them to eat the pulp if they don't.  I'd be reluctant to pull water much in this heat.  If necessary, you can pull water 24 hours before and probably be allright.  Just watch them closely.

red

Wow, that is a light weight for most calves! Both my heifers born January & first of March are past 700 easy. I'm surprised that they have a weight limit. Is it too keep older calves out of the show?

Red

cowz

Try the beet pulp with molasses in it.  Wet it down for at least an hour before you feed it.  Like Chambero said, add in enough of their normal feed to keep them interested in eating it.  Keep in mind that 1 gallon of water is 8 lbs.  A lot of kiddos forget that a little old 5 gallon bucket just bought them 40 lbs. on the scale.

Keep us posted and good luck!  

sawboss

Welcome to small town, small minded East Texas where people are afraid of change.  I am not proud of the fact that we all buy September and October calves and then hold them to make this stupid weight.  The next step is to rush them back in 220 days to 1300 lbs. so that you can be competitive.  I have already reduced the grain and have him on beet pulp, I am afraid ther might not be much room left.  This calf is put together, full brother finished 4th in his class last year at Fort Worth.

red

my suggestion is if possible weigh him ever day so you see where you need to be. I know we did that w/ both sheep & pigs when the weight had to be spot on.
Water or the lack of is the biggest factor as Cowz said. Just be careful when you go to start putting him back to gaining you increase the feed slowly.

Red

Jill

It is hot outside, but if you have already pulled his feed water is the only thing you can play with.  If you keep his body temp. down, he won't require near as much water, if you can get him cool pulling his water will work you'll just need to leave yourself plenty of time, don't try and do it all the last day.

Clubcalfshowgirl

what time of day do u weight in?? In FL we have a weight in out max is 800lbs sept.8 and i know alot of calves that are 750-770lbs, take a much food back as possible and give HAY ONLY! u can still give him a handful of feed but thats it!! If u weight early on in the morning take back all water the night b4 and dont give them anything till u get home. The last few days only give him 5 gallons of water 2x a day and keep him cool. And the night b4 dont feed or give water to. We have pulled 70lbs off a calf b4.

sawboss said:
Our county show weigh-in is in one week, our maximum weight is 700 lbs.  My oldest son has a Friction steer weighing 755 lbs.  Would like to hear some ideas on the safest way to take it off.

cowz

sawboss said:
Welcome to small town, small minded East Texas where people are afraid of change.  I am not proud of the fact that we all buy September and October calves and then hold them to make this stupid weight.  The next step is to rush them back in 220 days to 1300 lbs. so that you can be competitive.  I have already reduced the grain and have him on beet pulp, I am afraid ther might not be much room left.  This calf is put together, full brother finished 4th in his class last year at Fort Worth.

First of all, Jill is right, taper down slowly...becareful to taper back on, dont give back all at once!

I know what you are talking about.  We have a stupid rate of gain contest. (There is no top limit to our weigh in.)  The kids that want to win that buckle literally starve their steers before weigh in.  Then they pour the coal to them, usually with very poor results.  This makes me NUTS.  First of all I think it is cruel to starve them back for a long period of time.  Truth be known, the calves that place in the top 10 for rate of gain, never, ever do well in live or carcass placing.  Can those of us some nutrition education get the 4H office to abandon this?  Not a chance.  Some traditions are so out of date.  I would rather see kids rewarded for their knowlege of ruminant nutrition than to reward the annual starvation contest.  Just venting...whew,,,,,feel better now.

sawboss

Thanks for all the response, I am aware of all the information you have given and appreciate it all.  I hate to say we are pros at this game, I guess I am grasping at straws over my frustration.  I really hate this because we don't have the money to turn this calf loose and just shoot at the majors, he is that good.  We played this game last year with older calves and almost got burned, but finished with a 1245 lb. Shorthorn and a 1295 lb. Simmi after starting at 635 lbs.  I have a set of Paul scales and weigh daily, as we get closer we go to hay and water only.  I am able to control his body temp via water cool fans and Sullivan Turbo fans.  Thanks again for all the input and support, I will let you know how it comes out.

sawboss

Tomorrow is the big day, weigh-in, the Friction steer is down to 690 lbs. and the Shorty weighs 685 lbs.  We got there safely, if we can stay away from all the sick ones.  One county school has 7 calves running temp from 104 to 105 degrees and respiratory problems, they will tie up and spread it like wild fire to all the unknowing people.  A friend of mine called from the vet's office and gave me the heads up.  We will unload and hit the scales right before deadline and get the heck out.  I am lucky we only live 3 miles from validation site.  Thanks again for all the input and help, I really enjoy this site.  Sawboss

TJ

sawboss said:
Tomorrow is the big day, weigh-in, the Friction steer is down to 690 lbs. and the Shorty weighs 685 lbs.  We got there safely, if we can stay away from all the sick ones.  One county school has 7 calves running temp from 104 to 105 degrees and respiratory problems, they will tie up and spread it like wild fire to all the unknowing people.  A friend of mine called from the vet's office and gave me the heads up.  We will unload and hit the scales right before deadline and get the heck out.  I am lucky we only live 3 miles from validation site.  Thanks again for all the input and help, I really enjoy this site.  Sawboss

Sounds like you are going to make it, but something you could do is take him for a fairly long trailer ride right before the weigh in... that will make them lose a few lbs. too. 

sawboss

Steers made weight, now it is time to go to work!  We put the Friction steer on electrolytes and small amounts of water last night, along with one scoop of feed and two scoops beet pulp with a flake of hay.  Checked him at 6:00 am this morning and did the same, he was up and getting his energy back.  We got him classified Simmental, it was funny because a student from our school who won Grand Champion in '06 and Reserve Grand Champion in '07 waited for us to show up and classify.  They will not show through our FFA Chapter and are very secretive about their calves, they would not classify until we went through to see where we went.  They also have a Simmental cross this year, but may have tried to go AOB to stay out of our class.  It is fun to watch the scheming unfold just to win a class.  Thanks again for all the support it is greatly appreciated!  If you would like a picture taken in March of the Friction steer is located on showsteers.com.  Click on view sites by state, go to Texas and click on Custy Cattle Co. it is in the middle of the page.