Taping a steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I forgot to ask on the other topics so i figured i would start a new one, are weight tapes accurate? Also i found this table online and i was wondering if it was at all acurate? I don't have a scale yet and i have to haul if i want to weigh my animals which i can't do right now without them lossing weight

http://www.piedmontese-napa.com/GettingYourCattleWeightsWithoutaScale.htm

I dont know if someone could weigh their steer and then use this system and compare.

red

I know a lot of people that tape a newborn. The dairy industry uses tape a lot to detirmine weights. Not sure how accurate it is.

Red

farmboy

LAST YEAR, MY STEER GOT TAPED  AND WAS SET AT 1420 BUT ENDED UP WAEGHING 1330 BUT IT WAS A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE WEIGH INS

knabe

we taped every horse inthe neighborhood and it was accurate to within 25 pounds.  with my horse, it was off by 10 lbs.  still don't believe it.

renegade

With weight tape or that chart?  I really appreciate you and your neighbors taking time out just to help me with this THANKYOU!!! :)

Gypsy

I never have used the chart, but I have used the tape on newborn calves.  I used it a couple of years ago on calves born near the pens (hence - access to scales also) as well as out in the far pastures.  I was sceptical but when I would tape the calves and them follow it up by weighing the close to the pen calves on the scales also, I found it to be pretty accurate.  I was surprised and pleased.  I am going to have to try the chart. 

renegade

Thanks, none of the stores around here carry beef weight tapes...go figure... only horse and dairy. That is amazing how accurate they could be.

Gypsy

renegade said:
Thanks, none of the stores around here carry beef weight tapes...go figure... only horse and dairy. That is amazing how accurate they could be.

None of my stores either.  I got mine about 7 years ago from the AMAA.  But I have seen them for sale in a catalog.  Animal express maybe?

renegade

I saw on the internet on a catolog that had them for like 7.50 with shipping paid - i just typed beef weight tape in my search engine

renegade

well, my steer had been just picking  at his feed for the last couple of days and so i started to feed at 10:30 - it's still about 75 out- and then just a little earlier in the morning, added a little more of his sweet feed and he is eating like crazy; it's just so hot out here.  My fly wipe wasn't working on the cows faces so i took old horse fly masks and cut the ears off and poof cow fly mask - they beg to have them put on in the morning.

renegade

bluegrass said:
Could we see some pics of the steer? Maybe a side view and from behind view.

I was gonna put some fair pics of him on here with our FFA camera but our digital isn't working and i don't have a scanner. I am gonna see if i cant get it working. He is really starting to fill out in the butt. I didn't realize how young he was when i got him and i just found out most kids around here have dec./jan. calves - i am still kinda new at this and i thought most were feb./march

renegade

I found a beef weight tape when i was picking up some new show sticks... a steal by the way they look like sullivan sticks but they are made by U.S.A and w/ my FFA discount they were $11... anyway the store told me they didn't have any when i called them and i found some when i was looking around the store for fly sprays; it was only 3.50 - better than the 7.50 i would have paid and waited for it to be shipped.

p.s. my steer is eating really well BUT he doesn't look as good as he normally does but he was bloated the night before last pretty bad.

red

you're probalby pushing him too hard on the feed. Is he better? Make sure he has baking soda in his feed. Some tube some vegtable oil or add a little Tide (handful) to the feed to keep them from bloating.

Red

renegade

I normally do have some baking soda on their feed but i was out that morning.  I took him out and walked him, rinsed him down and gave him some hay, i didn't have to put a hose down his throat but i was pondering it. He was fine by the next feeding.