Tattletales

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

Meaning the heat detectors, not the nasty little snitches!

Has anyone used them?  Thoughts??  Looks like they would be a much cheaper alternative to heat watch systems.

fluffer

If I am correct they are the ones that you put on the tail head in the little patch and they light up and tell you how many times a cow stood during each hour of her heat cycle.
If that is correct- they SUCK!  I bought some last year and they don't work at all.  My cows had them off in less then a day, they break easy, and just plain don't work.  I wouldn't waste any money on them.

Fluffer

chambero

He use the Estrus Alert patches (they work like a lottery ticket scratchoff).  They actually work very well, but we use a little sale barn tag glue to make sure they stay on.

cowz

chambero said:
He use the Estrus Alert patches (they work like a lottery ticket scratchoff).  They actually work very well, but we use a little sale barn tag glue to make sure they stay on.

Got those this year...work great !!

We were working calves last week.  My 2 sons are really mean to each other!  Older son was running the tub and pushing calves up the alley, every time one of my younger son's bull calves came down the alley, the older one shouted "Here comes a candidate for a gomer bull"!!

GONEWEST

I think they are great, too. The guy who thought that up is on the beach somewhere and any of us could have had the same idea!

fluffer

We just take those "marking sticks" like you buy at TSC that are colored and marke up their tail heads real well.  That works just like that detect her paint.