teat end emergency

Help Support Steer Planet:

milkmaid56

my holstein cow has stepped on her teat and ripped it about a half inch up the teat and about a half inch though the teat. It riped through the teat canal so now she is leaking milk heavily through the rip.  She did it last night and i covered it with gauze and adhesive tape to keep dirt from getting in it.  This morning the bandage was off and i poured it with hydrogen peroxide to flush it out and its heavily leaking colostrum through the tear.  I do believe she looks as though she will start calving today.  Anyone know what to do about this?  Never seen it happen on a beef cow before.  I was thinking of getting some teat dialators but im concered that they would poke through the wound and i think her canal is already too damaged at this point.  basically how can i get this quarter to stop lactating as soon as possible?  i can get some pictures later on if it would help...

jbzdad

It is going to be ok... if it leaks it leaks, trim off any non-viable tissue, keep it as clean as you can. if you can catch her EASILY then wash it daily with gentle antimicrobial soap (like dial etc)... don't use peroxide or iodine or other cell killing solutions.... this wound will heal by secondary intention ( by itself).... if the duct is narrow after healing it may need to be dilated ,..... I think suturing the wound now would likely not be helpful and could create an abscess

jbzdad

I don't think you will be able to keep a dressing on this , it would be okay after washing to put an ointment or powder there , it will be OK if the calf nurses there

dori36

Like the others said, you won't be able to keep a dressing on it so just do your best to keep it clean.  If it leaks long enough without being stimulated with a nursing calf, that quarter may dry up and if the teat canal scars over and inside, you may actually lose that quarter to production.  That's not really a big deal unless you're showing the cow.  A calf will get more than it needs from the remaining 3 quarters.  Luck!

milkmaid56

thanks for the comments :)  its developed a scab and im just rinsing with water and putting ointment on it ever couple hours, also been conditioning the teats to becasue they were very dry... she is being very good about this and hasnt even tried to kick once...il keep you posted when she decides to calve!

Shady Lane

That is a relatively common injury with dairy cows, often in free stall barns another cow will stp on an exposed teat and cause that type of dammage.

It's probably worth a call to a local vet that does much work with dairies, they would likely have some advice to offer.

I'd keep it dressed with Furacin or a smilar product in the meantime.

GoWyo

Shady Lane said:
That is a relatively common injury with dairy cows, often in free stall barns another cow will stp on an exposed teat and cause that type of dammage.

It's probably worth a call to a local vet that does much work with dairies, they would likely have some advice to offer.

I'd keep it dressed with Furacin or a smilar product in the meantime.

I thought you are not supposed to use furacin products in cattle any more.