Tell me how this makes sense?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion, report says
Published: 8/5/08, 10:00 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Iraq is raking in more money from oil exports than it is spending, amassing a projected four-year budget surplus of up to $80 billion, U.S. auditors reported Tuesday.
Leading members of Congress, noting that Washington is paying for reconstruction in Iraq, expressed outrage at the assessment. One called the findings "inexcusable."

"We should not be paying for Iraqi projects while Iraqi oil revenues continue to pile up in the bank, including outrageous profits from $4-a-gallon gas prices in the U.S.," said Sen. Carl Levin, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. "We should require that U.S. taxpayers be reimbursed for the cost of large projects."

Baghdad had a $29 billion budget surplus between 2005 to 2007. With the price of crude roughly doubling in the past year, Iraq's surplus for 2008 is expected to run between $38 billion and $50 billion, according to a report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

The United States has put about $48 billion toward reconstruction since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, auditors reported. About $23 billion of that was spent on the oil and electricity industries, water systems and security.

Iraq spent $3.9 billion on those sectors from 2005 through April 2008, according to the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress. The ongoing fighting there, a shortage of trained staff and weak controls have made it difficult for the Iraqi government to spend its surplus on needed projects, the agency's report concluded.

Levin, a Michigan Democrat, has been an outspoken critic of the slow progress of reconstruction and an advocate of a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. His criticism Tuesday was echoed by Sen. John Warner, a Virginia Republican who is the former chairman and now a leading member of Levin's committee.

"Despite Iraq earning billions of dollars in oil revenue in the past five years, U.S. taxpayer money has been the overwhelming source of Iraq reconstruction funds," Warner said in a joint statement with Levin. "It is time for the sovereign government of Iraq, using its revenues, expenditures and surpluses, to fully assume the responsibility to provide essential services and improve the quality of life for the Iraqi people."

In its written response to the audit report, the Treasury Department said U.S. officials are working with Iraqis to address the issue, "and we believe progress is being made."

"The report shows Iraq's budget surplus is likely to grow significantly over the course of 2008, but it is equally important to realize that spending in Iraq is also increasing," Deputy Assistant Treasury Secretary Andy Baukol wrote to the GAO.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's government submitted a $22 billion supplemental budget to the Iraqi parliament in July, including $8 billion in proposed capital expenditures, Baukol wrote.

The issue raised the hackles of several members of Congress earlier this year -- particularly because Bush administration officials said on the eve of the war that Iraqi oil money would pay for reconstruction.

In 2003, then-Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz told the House Appropriations Committee: "We're dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon.''

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-California, said Tuesday's report "is going to make a lot of American families very angry."

"The record gas prices they are paying have turned into an economic windfall for Iraq, but the Iraqi government isn't spending the money on rebuilding," said Waxman, the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Levin spokeswoman Tara Andringa said the senator hopes to tighten rules governing U.S. expenditures on Iraqi reconstruction efforts in the next Pentagon authorization bill.

The Iraqi surplus has piled up even though the country's oil production has only recently matched prewar levels, according to the Brookings Institution's latest Iraq Index.

The country spent about 80 percent of its $29 billion operating budget in 2007, including public services and salaries, but only 28 percent of its $12 billion investment budget, the GAO found.

The export of crude oil accounted for 94 percent of Iraq's revenues from 2005 to 2007, the GAO reported.

justintime

It doesn't make any sense..... just like a few thousand other things that are happening right now. Some days I think the only sane people left are those who visit SP regularly!

It really makes even less sense when one considers the massive deficit the US will have this year ( I heard a few days ago that the deficit would be $ .5 trillion this year  ( I think that is what they said, I am going by memory which does fog up sometimes.... in any event, it was a number big enough that I didn't know if I knew how many zeros would be on the number). A deficit this size, in one year alone must cause Americans to reflect a little. What does everyone think about the deficit situation?  Is this something that will affect the US in the long run.. or is this a controllable situation? How long can the US continue to be the world's policeman... or should it ? These are all fairly simple questions.... I doubt if the answers to these questions are as simple.

knabe

we just tripled AIDS aid to africa from 15 billion to 45 billion.

we just never tire of trying to buy friendship.  no wonder everyone hates us.

cowz

The Democratic Convention in Denver will cost $150 Million and cause a huge burden on law enforcement and public employees.  They already have their candidate.  Why not do the socially responsible thing and donate the money to charity?

chambero

I still don't think invading Iraq was wrong.

However, this is ridiculous.  I'm not for fleecing them, but there is no valid reason they can't reimburse us for the reconstruction part when they are going to have the infrastructure after we are gone.

Doc

chambero said:
I still don't think invading Iraq was wrong.

However, this is ridiculous.  I'm not for fleecing them, but there is no valid reason they can't reimburse us for the reconstruction part when they are going to have the infrastructure after we are gone.

I  don't think it was wrong either & don't want anyone thinking that is why I posted this. I posted this so people could see that they are not missing a beat over there as far as making money goes, with oil. I mean we went as far as in the early stages of the war to buy gas from neighboring countries for like $1.35/gal, paid our troops to haul it & guard it with their lives & then sell it in Iraq for $0.27/gal. so that the Iraqi's wouldn't feel like we were being an imposition or burden on their country. So , I too don't see why they can't help foot the bill, other than we probably aren't even asking them too.

knabe

here's some context regarding germany and the "miracle".  the marshall plan, in general, is overblown.  of course textbooks say otherwise.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/GermanEconomicMiracle.html

What looked like a miracle to many observers was really not a miracle. It was expected by Ludwig Erhard and by others of the Freiburg school who understood the damage that can be done by inflation coupled with price controls and high tax rates, and the large productivity gains that can be unleashed by ending inflation, removing controls, and cutting high marginal tax rates.

we seem to be doing the former in our country.  funny.

steers4u

The Republican Convention in Denver will cost $150 Million and cause a huge burden on law enforcement and public employees.  They already have their candidate.  Why not do the socially responsible thing and donate the money to charity?

knabe

whoever wins will be donating money to charities (subsidies, tax breaks, incentives, grants, matching funds, aid, rebates)