Telos and Maine Guru's

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

Here is the Goldette/Premier X Heat Wave heifer that we talked about on the phone, finally got my pictures downloaded, he doesn't have her set up the best, but you get the picture.  Who would you breed her to, I would like to go back Maine for a 3/4, a little more frame wouldn't hurt any.  Common Sense how do you think Gigolo Joe would work on her? 

Attachments

• 1431.jpg
    1431.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 437

Telos

Hi Jill...I've turned into a PC Metric's freak this month... so I'm probably not the one to help you unless you can find some Metric's in Gigolo Joe's pedigree. I do know that Fancy Dancer and Hillview Goldette were both great cows for Mark Mueller and are found in a lot of of good pedigrees. It's all about complementing with this Maine deal. With Heat Wave in the mix I would concentrate on calving ease and keeping them sound. I think if those Heat Wave's are THC you get a false sense of phenotype when they loose their carrier status to their offspring. These are some of my picks in random order. Remember this gets real personal.

DCC Hard Drive, Gigolo Joe, K&A Nautica (homozygous solid black), HF Nixon.  It might be interesting to try FR Magic, since Heat Wave goes back to Taz, a Magic son. That could make good females. Wild Turkey is an interesting bull. He is enormous in his rib and full of muscle and clean. PC Metric, that is if you can find semen. K&A Maverick might work too. I know. Too much info. Remember Ali go back to Goldette through Polled Energizer. I'd rather double up Fancy Dancer as opposed to Goldette.

KDSC

where is Wild Turkey and DCC hard drive?? also is FR Magic, calving ease? whats his pha and th status

red

beautiful heifer Jill! He does a great job for a little guy. I think Joe would work nice on him.

Red

Jill

red said:
beautiful heifer Jill! He does a great job for a little guy. I think Joe would work nice on him.

Red
Thank you, we put the rest of these embryo's in this year and they are all really good, we have another really nice heifer that is solid red and a black steer, but we didn't get any decent pictures of him.

Telos, who is PC Metric and where is he pictured or who owns him, I haven't ever heard of him?

CAB

Jill he has her set up fine and is sure having fun and very proud, as he should be of his calf. Nice job.

Telos

Jill said:
red said:

Red
Thank you, we put the rest of these embryo's in this year and they are all really good, we have another really nice heifer that is solid red and a black steer, but we didn't get any decent pictures of him.

Telos, who is PC Metric and where is he pictured or who owns him, I haven't ever heard of him?

Jill,  PC Metric 707H and registry # 188 born in 1976. He is an old fellow who has be deceased for quite a while. Did not mean to send you on a wild goose chase. I just think he might be interesting to use on some of the more modern Maine pedigrees. He is a Covino III son. There is no picture of him that I'm aware of, but you see him showing up in a lot of good show cattle pedigrees lately. He does have the potential of being a PHAC going back to Dalton.

Telos

KDSC said:
where is Wild Turkey and DCC hard drive?? also is FR Magic, calving ease? whats his pha and th status

KDSC they are all listed on the American Maine Anjou wibsite. Just go to search the Maine Anjou breed. Probably none of those bull are considered great calving ease sires.

Gigolo Joe goes back to Metric's dam a total of 6 times.

Telos

Sorry Common Sense. I missed counted. NBJ Gigolo Joe goes back back to the JB TC JB F785 cow (Metric's dam) 8 times in his extended pedigree.

AAOK

I'm very simple minded when it comes to cattle matings.  I never debate too long over which way to go.  As Telos said, it's all about complementing.  Very nice looking heifer.  If she were mine, she would be bred to Polleroid. 

common sense

Nice heifer!  Well of course I would use Gigolo Joe on her but I MIGHT be biased!  (lol)  I have a cow family that phenotypically look a lot like that heifer and Joe is working great on them.  This is a picture of a halfblood April  Gigolo Joe heifer out of a moderate commercial angus cow.  If you are going to be in Denver I would like to show you some of our other Gigolo Joe females. Joe's average birthweight on his calves is about 83lbs.

Jack, man you are the pedigree guru!  Good work. Now you have to come up with a picture of PC Metric! 

Attachments

• Gigolo Joe Heifer 86T.jpg
    Gigolo Joe Heifer 86T.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 346

doubled

really nice heifer, you should be proud- rmember if you use a purebred maine they for some reason tend to have heavier birth weights and bigger hips at least that is my
experience I would think about just gettin a small calf out of her for starters, Ali throws really good low birthweight calves, also try a Red Angus they have good hearty
calves that seem to come out of first calf heifers really nice

xxcc

jill,

i usually have a different train of thought than most.  i may be with telos on Metric, but he is (in my opinion) the roughest of the bulls from that cow.  the known bulls that I know of from that cow are Viking I (son of Etula), Viking Answer(flushmate to Metric owned by Calvin Fryar) and Vikings Cunia Image (by you know who).

Metrics claim to fame is that he's the first solid black purebred.  Maybe some novelty there, but that's about it.  I have Viking I and Vikings Cunia Image semen if you are looking for some.  VCI is solid black and scurred.  Viking I is solid red and polled...halfsib to Heartbeat's mother.  Viking I is PHAF...VCI has not been tested.  I have a sample of Metric that I am going to submit, but am trying to line up more to send with it.

I PERSONALLY WOULD recommend a "looser" made bull as that heifer looks like she might be a little tight in the hind quarters.  Me, if she was mine, I might breed her to Iabon or Coca Cola.  Is she triple black?

Jill

Her mother is DMCC Silhouette 58E #211351, she sold as homozygous black, but she couldn't have been because we have 2 full embryo sib heifers that are solid red.

knabe

Jill said:
Her mother is DMCC Silhouette 58E #211351, she sold as homozygous black, but she couldn't have been because we have 2 full embryo sib heifers that are solid red.

this is an interesting comment.  many times animals sell with some comment about how black they and their offspring are, how was it determined she was homo black, by dna test, which i think there can be some doubt with one test result i can't remember which one, was she "test crossed" with a homo red bull, or just once or twice to a red carrier bull and in their hands, the calves were always black.  just to show you some odds defying magic, i had a set of twins out of a direct midas cow who is a red carrier and they were both tested homozygous black.  they were out of halls legacy plus who i think is homo black.  they were definately out of two individual eggs, as they tested differently on the tenderness panel.  the year before, she had a solid red heifer out of a red carrier.  the cow is scurred, and both heifers are polled.

does anyone mix red angus and red maines, or red angus with fullblood maines?

Jill

We bought her as a show heifer at 7-8 months so if could have only come from a test.

DL

Jill - Nice show heifer.

My goals with heifers is a live calf and a live heifer, so for that reason I go for a known calving ease bull. My first thought would be Money Man, but Colleen says that if they are at all posty legged he can exaggerate it - she looks a little posty in the picture, so although he seem to work well with Pursuit lines that might cause me pause. In regards to other purebred Maines - you might actually consider the old standby The Witch Doctor - I think he would lengthen and loosen her a bit. WD-40 is Witch Doctor son that I like a lot - the calves are small and vigorous and you aren't impressed at birth - but they get better every day. Both WD and WD40 should increase frame some, free her up a bit and are calving ease.

I would not use Polleroid - he is a huge bull who sires big to huge calves that become huge cows. KDCS Magic is PHA and TH clean but not really calving ease - sort of in the middle. Iabon would not be my choice for calving ease, although if you wanted to go with a fullblood Coco Cola could work.

knabe - I am using RA on red and black Maine heifers - I'll let you know how it goes - :)

Telos

Jill, I forgot we were talking about a first calf heifer when I replied. So ignore those comments. My picks were for only cows. Calving ease should be top priority.

Latest posts