temperament & $'s

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Poor Temperament Adversely Affected Performance & Profit - Dr. Rick Rasby, Professor of Animal Science, Animal Science, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Lincoln, NE

Mississippi State Univ. researchers used a total of 210 feeder cattle consigned by 19 producers in a "Farm to Feedlot" program to evaluate the effect of temperament on performance, carcass characteristics, and net profit. Temperament was scored on a 1 to 5 scale (1=nonaggressive, docile 5=very aggressive, excitable). Three measurements were used: pen score, chute score, and exit velocity. Measurements were taken on the day of shipment to the feedlot. Following is a summary of results.

Exit velocity and pen scores were highly correlated. As pen scores increased, so did exit velocity.

Breed of sire had a significant effect on all three temperament measurements and on feedlot performance and carcass traits.

As pen score and exit velocity increased, treatments costs and number of days treated increased, while avg. daily gain and final body wt. decreased.

As pen score increased, net profit per head tended to decline:

1=$121.89
2=$100.98
3=$107.18
4=$83.75
5=$80.81
These results are in agreement with similar research conducted at Iowa State, Texas A & M, and elsewhere (Vann et al. 2006. ASAS Southern Section Mtg., Orlando, FL).

genes

That's interesting...kind of makes sense though.  Yet another reason to ship your crazy cows away.

Joe Boy

I believe it.  I have two cows with horns and they have a disposition to use them and the other cows will run over you when you are putting out feed to get away from them.  This spring they will belong to someone else.

Thanks for the article Red... I had read one in another journal very similar. (clapping)

Show Heifer

I only wished they would pay for it when buying feeder calves!!! Everyone comments on how gentle my calves are, yet, they won't pay a premium for it.. Go figure.
But on a side note, sold two bulls yesterday mainly on temperment....the fella called (he was a bit older) and ask how their behavior was. When I told him, he said he would be down to "see for himself".
Well, he came and we went into the pen. The two bulls stood there watching my silly pup run around them jumping! He then walked within 3 feet of them before they WALKED away. The old fella turned and said, "Could I see your cows?" So we walked to the pasture and walked around my cows.  Small talking the whole time.
When I went to explain the bulls bloodlines (epd's etc) he said, "Never mind that. I have found most bulls are similiar that are AI bred and put for sale. I will take them both because of their temperment." I about fainted.  These bulls were over his price range (he told me that on the phone), and one was not his color (he didn't want a blk bull - he has char cows). But dang, he sure was impressed with the thought of them being turned with a hot wire, and that he could walk close to them!!! Made me feel good!!!

red

I agree Show Heifer, many a time the thing that's sold my animals has been their temperament. Whether for the show ring or as breeding stock. It's too bad it's not figured more in EDP's.

Red

garybob

Bi-Partisan Support!!!!! finally, something that has significant economic impact for both the commercial and showring industries. Dr. Grandin always felt that dark-cutters were the result of high-strung calves (being treated adversely). the Limousin breed ass'n started an EPD for disposition score. Wouldn't want my stepgirl drug around the showring by an outlaw, either.

red

garybob said:
Bi-Partisan Support!!!!! finally, something that has significant economic impact for both the commercial and showring industries. Dr. Grandin always felt that dark-cutters were the result of high-strung calves (being treated adversely). the Limousin breed ass'n started an EPD for disposition score. Wouldn't want my stepgirl drug around the showring by an outlaw, either.

Garybob, since you mentioned Temple Grandin. I was given this link to a show she did for the BBC. You need high speed to watch it. Hopefully, I can see it starting tommorrow!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1063749803579204077&q=temple+grandin&hl=en

DL

Good artocle Red - there are several others with the same message - I'll try to find them  - ain't it great to have your reality validated?? Maybe those of use with calm calves should band together and retain ownership  ;D

red

DL said:
Good artocle Red - there are several others with the same message - I'll try to find them  - ain't it great to have your reality validated?? Maybe those of use with calm calves should band together and retain ownership  ;D
Can see a new breed- Calm Cattle. It may replace beefpacas.

Red

red

This was part of a research paper done by CAB (certified angus beef) on the decline in quality grades. One of the factors was disposition.
4. Disposition
Often overlooked is the impact poor disposition has on marbling potential. Recent
Iowa research (Busby et al., 2006) showed that cattle displaying aggressive behavior
had greatly reduced quality grades.
Table 9. Effect of Disposition on Quality Grade.
                                                                      Docile                    Restless                                    Aggressive
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
% CAB® Accepted*                                  29.1                            22.8                                        14.3 
% Select and Standard*                          19.8                              25.1                                        37
* Percent CAB® accepted and % Select/Standard different at <.001

For the full paper, which is actually very interesting, go to:
http://www.cabpartners.com/news/research/declining_quality_grades.pdf

Joe Boy

Red, I really like that report.  Thanks and you have two beautiful calves.  My "dumby" is out of the NIKE bull and he is going to have such a wonderful disposition.  I loved on him today and after I walked off from him all the cows went up and licked him.  He just laid out in the warm sunshine and enjoyed all the attention.  He had just walked about a half of mile following momma and he did not intend to get up for anyone.

I was glad to hear that the Limosin cattle are putting an emphasis on the disposition factor.  From what I have seen that need it.  My youngest daughter showed one and he was like a puppy but there are several others that are snotty when the gate closes.  I used him to lead all the other show steers into the truck up the ramp.  He and I made that trip several trips up and down that ramp to bring another black one into the truck.